Mountain Project Logo

Mobile App Photos Feature Update

Original Post
MP Team · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 4

Until now, downloading photos for an area included every photo associated with that area. Not only does this take up precious storage space on your phone, but also, according to your feedback, 20 non-beta photos of a single route aren't that useful.

With this new feature, when you download photos for an area, if there are more than 10 photos associated with a single route, only beta photos or photos with a 3+ star rating will be downloaded. If there are fewer than 10 photos associated with a route, all photos for that route will be downloaded.

This feature is now live. If you would like to take advantage of this lighter photo set, simply delete and re-download your current areas (including Download All Photos for the areas). This should clear up considerable space on your phone and reduce the number of non-beta photos you have to scroll through at the crag.

Before you ask, no, there is no way to continue to download all photos regardless of their tagging or rating. If you want to maintain access to all the photos, keep the areas you have on your phone. Updating an area will not affect your access to these photos—only deleting the area will.

As always, we welcome your feedback, so let us know if you find any bugs while using this new feature!

- MP Team
J P · · Portland, OR · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 465

Are these full size images, too? I've noticed I can actually zoom in on images if I'm browsing MP.com, but the MP app photos "look all computery and damn pixelated."

Ryan Underwood · · Laguna Hills, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 55

SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!! But one thing that pops into my mind as an "issue" is that all the "aesthetic photos" get 4 stars so I fear that these may drown out real beta photos.  If I prerate the photos will only the photos I give 3+ stars to be downloaded?

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 327
J P wrote: Are these full size images, too? I've noticed I can actually zoom in on images if I'm browsing MP.com, but the MP app photos "look all computery and damn pixelated."

This for sure .... it’s pointless to upload images at the max res. to only have them be compressed and pixilated on the app.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20
MP Team wrote:
Not only does this take up precious storage space on your phone, but also, according to your feedback, 20 non-beta photos of a single route aren't that useful.

- MP Team

How is the progress going in being able to specify storage location for mountain project app data, namely placement on SD storage instead of phone's internal memory.

McHull · · Catoctin Mt · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 260

Nice!
I like the "Routes next door" feature. Is that new too? or am I just old and didn't notice?

Alex S · · Bishop CA · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 587

I like the general idea of this change, but in reality its proving to be a bad change.

Due to users in the past having done a poor job of marking a photo as "beta" a lot of very important photos are not present in the app.  A specific example im noticing is many of the High Sierra climbs will have route overlay image that is incredibly important beta to the climb, but since it wasn't marked as a beta photo its drowned out by all the 4 start pretty sunset pictures.

Before you ask, no, there is no way to continue to download all photos regardless of their tagging or rating. If you want to maintain access to all the photos, keep the areas you have on your phone. Updating an area will not affect your access to these photos—only deleting the area will.

This is would be fine, but i discovered that areas i had download prior to the change were now broken.  When in Airplane mode, and i open an area it would display with 0 photos, when getting signal and selecting the download all option photos were download per the new style, effectively removing many important topo images and route overlay images.

Please allow a user override to download ALL images, or add an option for any users to tag photos as "beta".
Ryan Underwood · · Laguna Hills, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 55
Alex S wrote: I like the general idea of this change, but in reality its proving to be a bad change.

Due to users in the past having done a poor job of marking a photo as "beta" a lot of very important photos are not present in the app.  A specific example im noticing is many of the High Sierra climbs will have route overlay image that is incredibly important beta to the climb, but since it wasn't marked as a beta photo its drowned out by all the 4 start pretty sunset pictures.

This is would be fine, but i discovered that areas i had download prior to the change were now broken.  When in Airplane mode, and i open an area it would display with 0 photos, when getting signal and selecting the download all option photos were download per the new style, effectively removing many important topo images and route overlay images.

Please allow a user override to download ALL images, or add an option for any users to tag photos as "beta".

Yeah I fear all the real beta photos will be drowned out by the 4 star selfie pictures such as on Mr. Slate in the at The Pit In Flagstaff lol.  

Prior to the update, if you went to an area and viewed the images, they would automatically be downloaded on the phone  and view able later in airplane mode. Not sure if this has changed.

I've gone on a photo crusade and giving 1 star to any photo that doesn't provide any beta and 4 stars to anything with beta.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Mobile App Photos Feature Update"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started