Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Community in Crisis


master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 227
J V wrote:

I'll take the bait.  In the short time I've been here, you've done nothing but rag on other people in almost all of your posts.  You seem to need to rant and cut other people down to make yourself feel better.  In the meantime you brag and make fake stories.  The one time I saw you out there, you and your partner were doing a lot of weird and dangerous things and showed your lack of experience.  Seems like one of your own partners spoke up in the rescue thread and pointed out several dangerous errors on your part.  You must have learned because I think I saw you with a helmet that one day in the northwest recess.  Hard to see since you were in the shadows under that roof. Your other partner RT obviously hasn't learned and is the real nut job.  Making knives, stalking people, not wearing or using his gear....  Why are you guys so angry?  Have you ever really done an alpine route?  Have you ever really done hard long routes like you claim?  Ever done a big wall in Yosemite?  Have you ever been to Everest to knock all those climbers?  Ever really epic?  You just seem like a character out of fiction novel.


Your trying to define what is and isn't okay for people to ask around here and shit on anyone who isn't "alpine" enough for you.  Your group of friends gang up on anyone who speaks up against you.  When the gates open to the east side of Yosemite I'm taking some gym rats up there for some climbs and I'll bet it'll be longer than anything you've ever done.  Your inhospitable and against everything we were taught, to be welcoming and open in the climbing community.

LULZ your facts are wrong. Haven't climbed with either of those folks. 


You assume to much Mr. Jason Voss. Ass u me. maybe unwad those panties and smile a bit :)
Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 674

I think I'm going to take a nice, long break from MP Forums.  The amount of ego-obsessed drama on this forum nowadays is too much to handle.  Peace.

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
master gumby wrote:

LULZ your facts are wrong. Haven't climbed with either of those folks. 


You assume to much Mr. Jason Voss. Ass u me. maybe unwad those panties and smile a bit :)

I think JV has you pegged, regardless of the accuracy of people you climb with. 

Cron · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 55

This “don’t be dick” policy seems pretty lax these days.

Gerrit Verbeek · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

So... this is a text-based internet forum. I'm not going to learn how to crack climb or alpine climb from text. What are you going to say, "try to climb upward"? "Look for good placements for your gear"? Stuff like snow camping and cooking tips is pretty much the only information you can meaningfully transfer on a forum.

MountainProject is the exact right place to learn about the best brand of alpine toilet paper, and it's a really bad place to try to learn about how to climb a Yosemite big wall.

Abandoned User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 6,695

You got me.  Fooled me twice, shame on me.  Silly me for trying to have a discussion.  Shout away real climber who survives blizzards in tarps, and has old school friends climbing with torn tendons, and crawls down mountains on his butt, and doesn't brush his teeth while doing big walls alpine style.  I'm sure next month you'll tell me a bear chased you, right after the avalanche swept down the north face in a lightning storm as you were without food for a week.  

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,510
Nick Sweeney wrote: I think I'm going to take a nice, long break from MP Forums.  The amount of ego-obsessed drama on this forum nowadays is too much to handle.  Peace.

Announcing this is kind of ego driven.

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70
Tradiban wrote:

Announcing this is kind of ego driven.

Yeah we know he will be back in about 3 months. 

Brian ~+~+~+ · · Oceanside · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

It was the best of shit shows, it was the worst of shit shows.

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
grog m wrote:

Yeah we know he will be back in about 3 months. 

Hahha he signed in 20 minutes later. But nick is a cool local. I just found a little humor in it is all. It's the MP curse. Shit is like heroine. Ain't no one stopping! Full speed ahead

CO Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Colorado has the best mountains, and the SoCal boys don't know a thing about alpine.  But I'll give them this, they sure know how to push everyone's buttons!  LOL!

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 204

I'm starting to think that JV has just perfected the 'angry troll'. How else would you bait the usual MPs usual trolls with their blase attitude?

At least, that's the way I'm interpreting it. We're all here because we're bored with nothing better to do, I find it hard to believe that people would actually take any of this seriously...

Abandoned User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 6,695
abandon moderation wrote: I'm starting to think that JV has just perfected the 'angry troll'. How else would you bait the usual MPs usual trolls with their blase attitude?

At least, that's the way I'm interpreting it. We're all here because we're bored with nothing better to do, I find it hard to believe that people would actually take any of this seriously...

Climbing is serious business. It’s also very fun. The stoke that’s expressed on here is a testament to that, but so are all the injuries and deaths reported. Trying to shut down conversation just because it doesn’t fit into your narrow definition of what climbing should be is a detriment to the community. It isn’t rocket science dude. We’re a community that should welcome others with open arms. What’s happening here is a small group terrorizing new users and scaring people away from asking any questions at all. For what???  A few laughs at other people’s expense?  What I don’t get from this thread and the rescue one is why so many condone this type of behavior?  Why is common sense discussion about safety shot down?

Russ Keane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 170

"Safety is subjective and everyone's definition will be different"

Then why does everyone think they know the best ways of doing things?

Baped Caldy · · Western US · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 1
J V wrote:

Your other partner RT obviously hasn't learned and is the real nut job.  Making knives, stalking people, not wearing or using his gear....  Why are you guys so angry?  Have you ever really done an alpine route?  Have you ever really done hard long routes like you claim?  Ever done a big wall in Yosemite?  Have you ever been to Everest to knock all those climbers?  Ever really epic?  You just seem like a character out of fiction novel.


Whoa glazed over a bit after this wall of text, where to even begin with your nonsense?  Lol.

A 2 second google image search amounts to stalking these days?  If you say so.  All the bois from LA so sensitive?  

There is nothing really Alpine in California, the cascades are gettin closer I guess.  I’d imagine you’d probably wee wee in your diaper from some of the things I’ve done, and I’ve done pretty much nothing in the grand scheme.  In fact, people doing anything worthwhile in the mountains likely spend very little/no time here.  

I was stoked on my back to back liberty ridge/north side of mount hood weekend a few years ago, but LR is basically the new dog route on Rainier.  So many GoPro videos of schlubs on that thing these days.  I’m changing diapers now, both at home and online it would seem.  The mountains are on a temporary hold for me.

Speaking for myself, I don’t pick on people for their relative inexperience.  I call people out for sounding/acting ridiculous in general online.  There’s a difference, although the terminally insecure seem to have trouble differentiating in my experience.  I’ll wager your particular butthurt blossomed from your snow creek inquiry and my advice to wait until the snow settled?  Definitely worth being upset over.  Lol?
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,510
Russ Keane wrote: "Safety is subjective and everyone's definition will be different"

Then why does everyone think they know the best ways of doing things?

Very apropos, as I was thinking of this today. The climbing "community" has changed alot since I started climbing, we can argue for days as to why, but what I can tell you is that it took more effort to enter the "lifestyle" before than is does now, that's a fact. With that fact in mind I think it's easy to say that a different kind of person is now entering the sport, typically, and in general, this is the,  for lack of a better term, "weaker" kind. 

This weaker kind is approaching the sport from a more academic perspective because it is what they need to feel "safe" enough to participate, being more educated than previous climbers, this is what makes them feel comfortable. Thus, they have a tendency to really sort out, in their minds anyway, all the minutiae with climbing until they can settle on the one way of doing things that makes them feel the proverbial "safe".   

Of course, those of who can see the big picture can easily see that there are many ways to do things, many of which are fine, but the weaker kind just don't have the capacity to understand due to their academic conformity. In other words, the general population is taught to think in only one way and lacks the experience of thinking outside the box.
Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
abandon moderation wrote: I'm starting to think that JV has just perfected the 'angry troll'. How else would you bait the usual MPs usual trolls with their blase attitude?

At least, that's the way I'm interpreting it. We're all here because we're bored with nothing better to do, I find it hard to believe that people would actually take any of this seriously...

I’m here due to 4 broken rib in 6 places with a fractured scapula.

The trolls here are cute in that their pathetic looser ways help me feel better about my current gimpy situation. 
Once I heal up I’ll be back but only for the route database. 
Mark Pilate · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10
Chad Miller wrote:

....The trolls here are cute in that their pathetic looser ways....

Lol. From a guy who is literally giving us the finger in every post...

(Psst: it’s bad form to misspell “loser” when you mean it as an insult)

But seriously, heal up bro. Nobody wishes that injury on anybody. 
Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
Mark Pilate wrote: Lol. From a guy who is literally giving us the finger in every post...

(Psst: it’s bad form to misspell “loser” when you mean it as an insult)

But seriously, heal up bro. Nobody wishes that injury on anybody. 

Reeling another one in …

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
Artful Dodger wrote: Maybe he means "looser"?

Got another …

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Climbing Community in Crisis"

Log In to Reply