Mountain Project Logo

Petaluma Area Climbers- MoonBoard Co-op Interest

Original Post
Christian Wagner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

A few of us local to Petaluma are looking for folks interested in organizing a training space. We have a lead on a space in a industrial building downtown. It would be smallish (~300sqft) but ideally moon board (or similar training board) and warm up wall, hangboards ect.  We would built it and just be looking for 10-20 people to chip in monthly to cover rent, maybe around $30. Perhaps a intial buyin to cover some of the construction and hold costs as well. I don’t know if insurance comes into play as we would be renting from the owner of the building. It would be cool to have a small hub of local climbing community right here without having to drive 45 min to a gym. Comment publicly so we can all gauge interest. Cheers 

Maureen Maguire · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

There's a lot of potential in Petaluma. Various industry folks have evaluated it for both wall and bouldering gyms in the last few years but so far no one has found it reasonable cost wise.  Insurance is required as is a fire inspection because it's considered a commercial space. The trick would be to find the sweet spot where a smaller area like that isn't overcrowded but still gets costs covered. In any case I'm interested..and I can count 8 others right now who I'm sure would buy in.

Jake Thomson · · Yosemite · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 5

Dude he's just saying he wants a space for the homies, why are you talking about insurance and ample space? 

J P · · Ashland, OR · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 84

This is really awesome. More Co-ops across the world! Hope y'all have great success!

Jake..... because some of us in Petaluma have looked into creating a co op space for training and indoor bouldering and that's what we found.... what's up with you, brah?  It's fun but not as simple as you expect. 

Christian Wagner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Well it’s cool to hear that there are some people in town interested in this kind of thing. And hell if someone else were to do a commercial gym then problem solved! Kevin jorgensen stopped in to check out the larger spaces of the building we’re in but his view was that Novato would be more financially promising . Regarding our project, we would have the option to go big and rent a 700 sq ft space with 25’ ceilings. We could do perhaps 2 different boards and warmup walls. Rent would be very reasonable. If people are out there willing to really dig in and organize that with me please send me a message. Public comments seem to just stir contention- classic mtn proj. Thanks!

Christian I'll pm ya when I get to a laptop.  KJ' s got a space in Santa Rosa not yet open. Friends in town have some money in it. Another friend was the construction project manager who put the wall in at SSU.  There's more..
M

Paolo Speirn · · Petaluma, CA · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 10

I'd be very keen to be in on this. New(ish) to Petaluma and would be so happy to have somewhere local to train

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Petaluma Area Climbers- MoonBoard Co-op Interest"