Mountain Project Logo

Do you hate contrived climbs?

Original Post
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

Well, do ya punk?

I hate contrived climbs, not sure why, you tell me.

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

I hate contrived trolls. 

Ben Pellerin · · Spaceship Earth · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Unless it's the absolute easiest most direct path to the top its contrived.

I like the contrived ones the most!

We probably need to hash out what "contrived" means. Here's the dictionary:

adjective

1. deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.
    • created or arranged in a way that seems artificial and unrealistic.
So, yes definitely deviating from the natural line. Does this include eliminates?
master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262

I think your argument needs to be defined further. With your given definition of "contrived climb", which is none I cannot comment further.

Are we talking squeeze jobs? Grid bolting? Not intuitive routes? 

master gumby wrote: I think your argument needs to be defined further. With your given definition of "contrived climb", which is none I cannot comment further.

Are we talking squeeze jobs? Grid bolting? Not intuitive routes? 

Yes, it could be any of those. Have you ever tried a "contrived" climb?

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262
Tradiban wrote:

Yes, it could be any of those. Have you ever tried a "contrived" climb?

Oh ya looks like you read my mind by posting the definition. 

Per your definition posted, an old aid line busted open with pin scars would be considered contrived. 

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

Bouldering is contrived climbing...

Edit: Bouldering isn't actually climbing...  so its just contrived.

Darin Berdinka · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 267

Why give them kudos?  All the great lines at established crags are done.   2nd wave of fill ins occurred 20 years ago.  A round of squeeze jobs then followed and now we’re on our second or third round of that.    90% of the traffic is still on the great lines and all those squeeze jobs moss over as fast as they put them up.   The youngens will say “we’ll you don’t have to look at them”.  But fact is every single lump of rock getting grid bolted is both ugly and sort of an embarrassment on the community......of course that squeeze job you’re working on is a missed classic....no doubt.

Kedron Silsbee · · El Paso · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

I don't like climbs which have sections where certain holds are "off", or bolted climbs where the only thing preventing me from going onto easier terrain is the need to clip the bolts.  Basically, once I'm on the line, I want to feel like I can follow my natural instincts without having to worry about "cheating".

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098

There's no such thing as a contrived climb. Use what holds you want and climb where you will. Be honest about what you did.

When you've climbed everything else, then you may be bored enough to try the contrived variation.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

It's like at sometime earlier in life, I used to be offended by sloppy seconds, but now I'm kinda all for it.

Kedron Silsbee wrote: I don't like climbs which have sections where certain holds are "off", or bolted climbs where the only thing preventing me from going onto easier terrain is the need to clip the bolts.  Basically, once I'm on the line, I want to feel like I can follow my natural instincts without having to worry about "cheating".

Yes, but why is this offensive? Perhaps it's the break in the "flow" that's distracting? Really pulls you out of the moment?

Also, something that's just a TR that's contrived is much less offensive to me than a bolted contrivance.
Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

see answer #2

Nick Goldsmith wrote: see answer #2

Kedron Silsbee · · El Paso · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

Yes, but why is this offensive? Perhaps it's the break in the "flow" that's distracting? Really pulls you out of the moment?

Also, something that's just a TR that's contrived is much less offensive to me than a bolted contrivance.

I mean "offensive" might be a bit of a strong word, but yeah; it's a distracting break in the flow.  I would agree it doesn't bother me as much if it's a TR.  Maybe there's no fear factor if it's a TR, so going the harder way for no good reason is easier to accept.  That, and I tend to think fewer bolts on a cliff are generally nicer, so a bolted line has to be a bit better to justify its existence.  

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

At this point in my life, hate is all that I have.
I am a 220 pound ball of hate.
So contrived climbs are just part of it all.

greggrylls · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 276

Any climb where I can't do the moves is contrived.

J Achey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 155

Hating contrived climbs shows a failure of imagination. Most rock climbs are contrived - it is usually SO much easier to just walk around the back to get to the top. The less you depend on a "natural line" to enjoy the climb, the more free you are to enjoy any absurd and fun moves you might make on the rock. What's to hate?

Layne Zuelke · · Baton Rouge, LA · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 30

The second you yell up to me “no that hold or that corner is off” then I’m over it. There’s too much unclimbed rock in this world to have to squeeze in new stuff on already overbolted crags. You just have to have the wherewithal to do the scouting and bushwhacking and cleaning and networking and all it takes to develop something. But I’m just an old curmudgeon and my world view is a bit whacked. Take it for what’s its worth. 

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Modern times Direct; the black line
( which, in my opinion, is A far better climb, the 'directisima' so less contrived  a climb than the "new?"  Modern Psychedelic.  )

,Modern Psychedelic. is the mirror of the white line: "Trophy Hunter",  but 5.6/7 (removed for clarity),  it goes left of & below MT, avoiding the funnest part & crux )
[

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Do you hate contrived climbs?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started