Mountain Project Logo

Lone Peak Cirque conditions and approach

Original Post
Fan Zhang · · Silver Spring, MD · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,171

Thinking about heading up to Lone Peak Cirque in a couple weeks. Any one been up there recently or care to guess what the conditions might be like on the approach and at the meadow by then? Post holing? Running snow melt? Never been up there before but the approach beta on MP is intimidating. Any comparison to something like the approach for Mt. Whitney via North Fork of Lone Pine Creek? On paper, Lone Peak Cirque approach looks much harder. Thanks!

Stan McKnight · · AZ · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 261

I was in SLC last week and the top of lone peak is still completely covered in snow. I haven't been up to the cirque myself but judging from the way the mountains looked it would be very difficult to do the approach. 

Thanks Stan. Very helpful. 

Devin Rogers · · Provo UT · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

My buddies climbed center thumb last week and the route was dry. They said only the north facing walls looked wet. They approached on skis. I haven’t been up there yet but the snow was good getting up to the pfeifferhorn Friday night and stayed good for the midday descent. We didn’t use snowshoes once, despite having brought them. Approach in the evening and you definitely won’t have issues. Bring microspikes for the steeps on the approach and definitely for the snowy petes staircase descent (this is the typical descent). Possibly even a crampons and axe for this descent route, as it’s sorta steepish and really exposed. I’m hoping to head up in the next couple weeks. I would definitely recommend getting the gps tracks and throwing them on your phone (google earth) or gps if you haven’t done the approach before. the trail is hard to find even without snow. At the very least you should study the mountain so you can find your way without the trail. 

Thanks Devin. Great advice.

Jonathan Brown · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

I was reading your post at lunch today so I snapped this on the way back to the office.  The snow is receding fast.  There's definitely a lot less white than even a week ago.  I'll  try & remember to take a better picture for you (not through my windshield while stopped at a red light).
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Yet this is the web cam at Alta looking at Sugarloaf Peak, with Devil's Castle in the background. All at an elevation similar to the Lone Peak Cirque. Snowbird is reporting a base depth of 100" (they measure at around 9K').

bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,165

Looks like some sweet ski in ski out devils castle climbing

Glen Kaplan · · Salt Lake City, UTAH · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0
bus driver wrote: Looks like some sweet ski in ski out devils castle climbing

I’m in! That sounds lovely.   Holler.    

EricQuilter · · Park City, UT · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Don’t forget skin wax!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Lone Peak Cirque conditions and approach"