Mountain Project Logo

2nd/3rd Wanted for Shuksan Price Glacier Climb July 1-2ndish

Original Post
Mark P Thomas · · Draperderr, by Bangerter, UT · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 1,972

Weather and conditions permitting, me and another hope to climb the Price Glacier over these dates, or shortly after, as a 2 day climb. We are both very fit and experienced for alpine climbing. I'm fairly solid on leading WI3 and could probably get through WI4 if necessary, but another strong partner would be a good idea! Also my main partner for my trip to the PNW might also be more inclined to back off as his risk tolerance/experience for higher objective hazard routes is lower than mine (he was fine doing that with me going with another if I chose to).

I have climbed Liberty Ridge (w/ soft snow & whiteout bivvy on Liberty Cap), Ptarmigan Ridge, aborted 3/4 up Curtis Ridge after the rappels (sh*t!!), and last summer led climbs up the Matterhorn & 3 Mounts Traverse of Mont Blanc (walking all the way down the Goutier route to the valley floor). My partner has done Mont Blanc as a 'car-to-car' on the standard Goutier route. We will be doing the Adams N Glacier Route and Baker N Ridge Route right before hopping on this (and I might also sneak in Jefferson Park Glacier on Jefferson to start). While I haven't done much alpine in 2019, I did complete the WURL solo last September over ~50 hrs (+20,000' gain, +40 miles, cl. 4) in the Wasatch.

If you're interested, we'd either want to hear some of what you've been climbing lately that is relevant on the right metrics, or that you join us on a car-to-car of the N Ridge of Baker the day before (I have dibs leading the crux pitch, though. Might do the ice cliff variation as well).

Mountainhumper · · South Jordan, UT. · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Hi Mark 

1. I’d love to join you on the Adams glacier. I live in South Jordan, near Draper. Though I have not climbed any ice this past season, in the past 13 years, I’ve been up Rainier 5 times, once via Liberty Ridge car-to-car (35 hrs approx, July of 2013), Shasta 6 times via 3 different routes (Hotlum-Bolam, Hotlum Wintuun snowboard descent, and Casaval Ridge, four times car-to-car, Adams glacier in 2003, the North Ridge of Baker two years ago and the Coleman Headwall car-to-car the year before. I love Washington’s Cascades and glacier climbs and have been tripping out there most years (usually the week of the 4rth of July), since my first trip in 2003. Right on for the doing the WURL. I’ve done the Beatout a bunch of times, and sections of Cottonwood Ridge and Reid and Benson’s Ridge, but never it it’s entirety. I’m heading up the Cold Fusion Couloir this Sunday AM for an ascent of North Timp and snowboard descent with this late season snow we’ve got. Let me know if I could meet u in Washington and tie in with you. I’ve got no partners this year but am gonna head out there the week of the 4rth for something, and would love to climb Adams glacier again. I’ve been up it once and turned around on it three years ago because it was really bare bones, very cracked out, and my fiancée was not enjoying it.
  2. I’d consider other objectives. Climb strong, climb safe. -Steve Ebbens ebbenssteve@gmail.com
Andre Piwoni · · Portland, OR · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 1

I'd be interested in climbing Shuksan Price Glacier but also Adams Glacier anytime between June 30th and July 3rd. I already climbed harder variation on Mt Baker North Ridge. I've got 3 weeks ow waterfall ice climbing this season and can lead up to WI4. Not as much alpine ice as I was hoping to do this season. Feel free to contact me at eight 01 five 41 four 722. Please text me first.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest Partners
Post a Reply to "2nd/3rd Wanted for Shuksan Price Glacier Climb…"