Mountain Project Logo

Have You Climbed in Malaysia?

Original Post
Jessa Lee · · Northern California · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Hey Friends!
I'm looking for all the deets regarding climbing in Malaysia! When did you go? Where did you stay? How did you like it? Was it cheap (lodging, food, transport, etc) Did you travel with a partner or meet up with people there?
Have you done the research but not made it yet? Whatcha got!! 
I found the Facebook group but I'd love to hear personal accounts of your experience.
I'm thinking of going there next month (July) If you're heading there then definitely hit me up!!!
Thanks a million, Jessa

jane banani · · Cairns · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Hey Jessa,
I am interested in the same and for the same reason. If you don't find the answers, I am happy to try to have a look into that together?
Let me know :)

Ryan Williams · · London (sort of) · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,245

Fairly big country with climbing spread throughout. Where are you going?

I wrote the MP page on Bukit Keteri in Perlis. It’s amazing but quite far from KL. let me know if you want any info that is not on the page.

Nate Ball · · Portland, OR · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 9,542

I'm the admin and visited Tioman Island, a few crags around KL, and Bukit Takun back in 2015. All great destinations. It will be hot and sticky no matter when you go. I posted a comment in the Batu Caves area with info about where I stayed and general takeaways from our trip.

Thanks Ryan & Nate!
My plan is to find somewhere I can both volunteer and hopefully have plenty of time to climb as well! Which means I'm not set on Malaysia (also considering Taiwan?)
I'm traveling alone so I'm thinking (at least to start) my best option is to stay near Kuala Lumpur in order to find partners/groups.  Been traveling 4 months so far so needing to tighten up the budget and dying to get more climbing in as I'm feeling very rusty. 

Jessa Lee wrote: Thanks Ryan & Nate!
My plan is to find somewhere I can both volunteer and hopefully have plenty of time to climb as well! Which means I'm not set on Malaysia (also considering Taiwan?)
I'm traveling alone so I'm thinking (at least to start) my best option is to stay near Kuala Lumpur in order to find partners/groups.  Been traveling 4 months so far so needing to tighten up the budget and dying to get more climbing in as I'm feeling very rusty. 

In my experience Malaysia is not the easiest place to find partners. There aren’t really any climbing destinations that draw climbers like the ones in Thailand do. Most of the climbing around KL is frequented by locals so there is potential to find a partner, but KL is a pretty terrible place to hang out when compared to the more rural parts of Malaysia. The climbing in Perlis and Tioman is a bit harder to get to and a bit more advanced so people generally turn up in pairs. However those areas are in beautiful and interesting parts of the country so def worth a visit. My knowledge is 10 years old... I think there may be more locals climbingnin Perlis now. 

Chiang Mai is worth a look. There are volunteering opportunities (try an orphanage) and it’s not quite as commercial and touristy as the south. Also easy to find climbing partners online and you could just go to the crag and meet groups of westerners. 

There are also active climbing communities in India and plenty of ways to volunteer there. 

Thanks Ryan! Never been to Malaysia but here seems to be a decent climbing community by what I've seen on their FB group page but really not sure yet. It does look a little more difficult to find a partners outside of KL as the crags are more remote. Hence why I'm reaching out now before solidifying anything.  
As far as I know Crazy Horse in Thailand is still closed down sadly or I would consider going back there (I'm assuming that is what you were referring too.)
Flying to India is the same price as flying back to the states so that's out. 

Jessa Lee wrote: Thanks Ryan! Never been to Malaysia but here seems to be a decent climbing community by what I've seen on their FB group page but really not sure yet. It does look a little more difficult to find a partners outside of KL as the crags are more remote. Hence why I'm reaching out now before solidifying anything.  
As far as I know Crazy Horse in Thailand is still closed down sadly or I would consider going back there (I'm assuming that is what you were referring too.)
Flying to India is the same price as flying back to the states so that's out. 

Yes I was referring to Crazy Horse. I didnt know it was closed but now that you mention it I sort of remember reading about that. Shame. 

Nate Ball · · Portland, OR · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 9,542

+1 for Taiwan. Lots of volunteer opportunities, thriving climbing community in Taipei. Most folks commute regularly to Long Dong, weekends especially. There are tons of gyms (mostly bouldering) and a local cliff called Rehai. I have tons of friends there I could put you in touch with.

Doug Harris · · Louisville, CO · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Kinabalu is a true gem, although you need to go “guides”. That just means there is a guide somewhere on the trail if you end up being the slowest in the “group”.

Bintang is an easy 2 day hike. I rented a car and did it solo, unguided. Lots of wildlife.

Indonesia is the true gem for Gunungbagging. Check out that website. Raung was a blast. Same with Kerinci.

The Facebook group HCAMP can give tips. 

Yaman Peksenar · · NC · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

Hey Jessa, I’ll be in SE Asia in September and I’m itching to climb outside again. The gym is driving me nuts lol. Haven’t purchased my ticket to the region yet, but my flight out of Bangkok is October 17. My travel plans are flexible so if you’d like to link up and climb, I’m game!
I’m definitely going to climb in Krabi, Thailand if that interests you btw

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Have You Climbed in Malaysia?"