Mountain Project Logo

New and Experienced Climbers over 50 #7

Oldtradguy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 15

To all of you outdoor chefs:

We got these from our son-in-law's place. He has about 275 acres for a pheasant hunting preserve.

I am cooking these for dinner.

These are being cleaned.

These will be dehydrated and then frozen for a later event.

This weekend we will go out and pick another bag.

John
dragons · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 847

Hey John, last night my bf and I spoke with a woman who told us she forages her own chanterelles. Apparently, now is the time... so what's the risk of accidentally picking something which is not a chanterelle, just looks like one, but is poisonous?

Oldtradguy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 15
dragons wrote: Hey John, last night my bf and I spoke with a woman who told us she forages her own chanterelles. Apparently, now is the time... so what's the risk of accidentally picking something which is not a chanterelle, just looks like one, but is poisonous?

Dragons

I know what Chanterelles look like.

Here is youtube video on identifying Chanterelles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=sYmPoeZDDVE

Here is a video on Chanterelles and the poisonous Jack O'Lantern. 5 minutes into the video he talks about the Jack O'Lantern mushroom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aOwgaIFKMY

Chanterelles are very delicious to eat. I cook them in a little butter, olive oil with a pinch of fresh ground black pepper and salt. You sweat them out until all the moisture is evaporated. I will slice them up to help cook faster and to make sure that they are properly cleaned.

John
Lori Milas · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 240

What's everyone doing this summer?  Out climbing... doing other stuff?  I think we need pictures.    

Tomorrow at the gym we will be starting an 'endurance cycle' of hard climbing for a month.  Finally I understand this concept of pushing the body hard to build endurance, and then moving back to strength and technique.  If I didn't want to be able to climb so much, I'd let this go.  Frankly, a lawn chair sounds better.  Maybe it's the 'old' thing, or maybe it's the 'diabetic' thing... but I'm surprised how quickly my endurance vanishes.  At 7500 feet I'm huffing and puffing on a short hike that was easy a few months ago.  

Separate subject:  Curious what you think about my friend Pat's words to me: "Today, often, climbers edge, and their smearing technique relies heavily on the sticky rubber now.  Some never learn technique, because these shoes are like glue on the rock. You might try finding an old pair of Kronhofers, or Cortinas, and try to do some slabs with those, where if you don't have technique you are lost.  Gimpy shoes had a way of inspiring some incredible technique, or else."

Makes me wonder if I'm any good at slab at all... or is it the shoes, and waiting for the perfect 48 degree weather on that granite.

Will be back in Truckee on Tuesday, with my lead rope... working some easy routes!  

the museum · · Summerset, SD · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 145

Took a day off from climbing and floated the N Platte West of Casper, Wyoming. July 13.

the museum
Jeff Rumble · · Whittier, CA · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

I went hiking up beyond the Bilk Creek Wall near Telluride, CO.  About a mile and a half up, I ran across these.  They were the size of volleyballs.  I know nothing about mushrooms.  And they looked pretty cool.  So I left them there.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Lori, I huff and puff at 6500'. It isn't just conditioning, although that's part of it. I've always huffed and puffed at that altitude, if I'm working a little, even forty years ago. I also dehydrate really badly and have to keep after it, or be sick.

A friend sent me a vid of working a hard alpine thing, a 21 hour "climb". Ice, snow, rock....and at almost 12k feet! He sounded like a steam engine, and he is very ​fit!​​​ Crazy fool wants to go back, lol!

I'm meeting Erika and her hubby, very soon! Wahoo! Sorta last minute, and I'm proud I said yes. It's a big deal still, for me to do these trips all of you take for granted. First plane flight in 20+ years, first car rental ever. Sheesh.

Thanks, all. I think you all know how much you mean to me.

Now I really do need to mow the lawn, pay the bills, maybe wash the dishes this week...

Oh! Climbed at a gym yesterday, first time in ages. I'm really surprised, considering I've done very little in many weeks, but I don't seem to have lost any strength. At all. Go figure!

Best, Helen

Mark Orsag · · Omaha, NE · Joined May 2013 · Points: 916

Smearing technique is often lacking with some of the strong younger folks that I climb with. They can actually kind of dynamically climb slabs on toprope, but you can’t lead slabs like that! Watched a super strong dude careen up an 11b slab in the gym yesterday on autobelay  with like near zero slab technique. He decks trying to lead it that way for sure. He wisely declined an offer to lead it.

Carl Schneider · · Mount Torrens, South Australia · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0
Lori Milas wrote:

You have a WIFE???  Good god.  She has her hands full.    

Ha ha! That's so funny.  I'm going to tell her you said that.  She'll crack up laughing!!!

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526
Lori Milas wrote: What's everyone doing this summer?  Out climbing... doing other stuff?  I think we need pictures.    

Needles, Custer State Park, SD.  Back for a week with three friends after thirty years.

The tallest-appearing spire here is Khayyam.  To the left is Spire 2 and to the right is Spire 3, but with Rubyiat in front.

This is apparently called "Goldstone's Riddle."  An inconsequentiaI little route I did in 1968 with no bolts; it now has three.

P3 of the Conn Diagonal on Outer Outlet

A 5.9 or 5.10- route on Moraine Spire

A 5.8 or 5.9 route on The Fin

The super-classic 5.8 route on the Tricouni Nail

Summit register with a 52 year-old entry from me (I was 23 at the time) and Bob Kamps---we appear to have been the second party up there, nine years after the Conns made the first ascent.

View from the summit of East Gruesome.  Bayonet in the middle, Picket Fence beyond, Black Elk Peak in the distance.
Mark Orsag · · Omaha, NE · Joined May 2013 · Points: 916

That is so cool, Rich! I recognize some of those, but you have to let me know what you climbed! I head up there the 29th.

Mark O

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

Congrats, Rich!!!

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674
Bell X1  Chuck Yeager pilot first plane to go faster than the speed of sound /break the sound barrier Displayed right near my house

I'm marveling over Rich's pictures.  They are beautiful to see.  So glad you shared them, Rich!    

In my own climbing trajectory: I feel like I'm stuck between two worlds right now.  Finally I've taken my rack out on some easy climbs, and spent the rest of the day climbing an easy 4-bolt sport route (still on mock).  Clipping was easy... I managed the rope just fine, no mis-steps there... but as easy as that sport route was, and the top rope hung loose the entire time, I felt like no way would I do this without backup.  Does this trepidation ever leave? 

On any easy route, where I placed pro every 8 feet or so, adding slings, I estimated that a fall would be a minimum of 12 feet plus stretch.  I've never fallen.    Looking down, I didn't feel like I wanted to start today.  
--------------------------------------

Talking with some of the oldsters, and yesterday with Chris, I'm finally understanding that this top rope thing is relatively new in the climbing world.  It opened up the sport of climbing to far more people (me), and now many people only top rope and never leave that safety.  

Just taking a hard look inside myself... after two years of climbing, where's my strength, balance, agility at... 'should' I be making this transition?  Do I even want or need that extra thrill/risk?  

It's been a blast, moving into harder and harder, more fun and challenging routes in both Josh and Donner.  I go home thinking about that crack, or that layback, (or the mosquitos!   )... there was a 10b face climb exactly next to a 5.9 crack I was climbing yesterday, and I'm still thinking about it.  Nearly vertical, there was only a single tiny crimp to muscle straight up a portion of that face.  How the hell do you do that?  But the longer I studied it (walking it up and down on top rope), the more pieces I figured out to that puzzle... THAT'S what I love about climbing.  But do I need to LEAD it?  

Perhaps with more time the answers will come.  I would hate to sacrifice some outrageously beautiful and challenging climbs (on top rope) for more time on the ground or easy slopes just figuring out whether it's a #3 or #4 that will fit in that pocket.    

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Lori... to lead is to really embrace the climbing. The adrenaline gets produced- you get to have an out of body experience and see God. I hardly ever lead anymore- the adrenaline gets produced when I get out of bed now.

Rich- priceless piece of paper! Good to know those things still exist.
Question.... did your folks know you were hanging out with Hippies?? 

Guy Keesee wrote: Lori... to lead is to really embrace the climbing. The adrenaline gets produced- you get to have an out of body experience and see God. I hardly ever lead anymore- the adrenaline gets produced when I get out of bed now.

Rich- priceless piece of paper! Good to know those things still exist.
Question.... did your folks know you were hanging out with Hippies?? 

Oh... well if's only to see God then, heck, I can find other ways right on the ground.    I thought there was some other esoteric purpose to this leading thing.  

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Lori Milas wrote:

Oh... well if's only to see God then, heck, I can find other ways right on the ground.    I thought there was some other esoteric purpose to this leading thing.  

Nope. Just gets the rope up, someone has to do it. Eventually, you may want a couple routes you are 200% on, just so you can rope gun for a noob in turn and be a real hero!  In the meantime, on top rope? Just say you are following. That makes em happy. :-)

Best, Helen
rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

There's no question that leading is far riskier than following.  I think you should only be doing it if the urge is irresistable---absolutely do not let anyone talk you into it.  Embracing, working with, and controlliong that risk is a big part of trad climbing and a smaller part of sport climbing, and there is no question that perfoming under stress is one of the attractions for folks who do it.  As you've noted, nowadays you can have a perfectly dandy climbing career without ever leading anything, so some introspection about what really floats your boat is called for.

To add to the difficulty, you are at an age when a lot of people who have been leading their entire careers are starting to dial it back, precisely  because their tolerance for risk has decreased.

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674

Back to finish this project Friday after school! 

Carl Schneider · · Mount Torrens, South Australia · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0
Lori Milas wrote: ... but as easy as that sport route was, and the top rope hung loose the entire time, I felt like no way would I do this without backup.  Does this trepidation ever leave?...

While I agree with Guy's inspirational statement, you DO know you don't HAVE to lead, don't you?  I'm almost thinking about just top roping from now on, depending on how my injury pans out.  

I absolutely HATE falling.  I've never fallen leading trad, and only a few times on sports.  That limits my grade level and I do silly things like down climbing several times in a route and reversing a trad lead, removing my gear as I go.  Sometimes I think I should just close my eyes, scream like a little bitch and fall FFS.

I think one thing we all need to ask ourselves is, "Why is it that I don't want to fall right now? Is it because I'm in a 'no fall zone'?  Don't trust my gear? Don't trust my belayer?  Wearing brand new snazzy Patagonia pants I don't want scuffed? Want to do this route clean as I'm not sure I have the energy to give it another whirl today and lead it cleanly?"

I think, really, the only valid reason of those above is the first; being in a no fall zone, i.e if I fall now I'll hit the deck, a ledge, etc.  I think IDENTIFYING a no fall zone is critical to being able to safely lead a sports route and that and ALSO knowing if the gear you've placed is any good is critical to leading trad.

Having said all that, like I said, I'm a namby pamby who hates falling, so in answer to your question, for me, no, the trepidation never leaves...

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started