Mountain Project Logo

Hood conditions

Original Post
Perry Norris · · Truckee · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 45

I am headed up to Oregon; how are conditions on Hood? Looking at Reid HW or Leutholds.

Thanks!

diepj · · PDX · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

Haven’t been up recently but probably getting lateish for both those routes. Probably still doable though. Leuthold might be turning into a chocolate funnel with all the warm temps and sun recently.

James Maltman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 95

Leuthold just slid in the past few days

drew A · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

I was on Leuthold exactly a month ago. Rockfall nearly decapitated me twice. I can't imagine it's gotten any better.

If you want to scope it, hike out to Burnt Lake and take binoculars. My guess is the crevasses and the bergschrunds are going to be pretty open but not all the way so if you intend to end run them give it a wide berth. Stay away from the brown runnels for as long as possible. Unfortunately the rockfall is not avoidable this time of year. 

James Maltman wrote: Leuthold just slid in the past few days

Any pictures James?

Perry Norris · · Truckee · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 45

I heard a cold spell is coming in this weekend (the 15th.)  High of 37 at Timberline.

Beau Griffith · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 21

Not to derail but does anyone have current info on South Side? Guessing much of Andrew's comment would apply vis-a-vis crevasses.

Curious what the first few hours from parking lot to ~palmer will be like with the super hot week. Snow-cat tracks were NOT fun to go up (even when partially frozen @ start time) and especially down last time I attempted.

drew A · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

I'm told the bergschrund at the hogsback is plenty open now. Other than that I don't personally know anyone that's gone up or down it recently. 

Dustin Erickson · · Scio, OR · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 10

I was up at the Devil's Kitchen sunday. Up to Palmer it is like a highway, compact snow and plenty of traffic. Past Palmer it is softer, but I came across several patches of ice. At the kitchen you can definitely see the Bergschrund. I was up there to late in the day to summit, because there was just a constant stream of rockfall.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Hood conditions"