Mountain Project Logo

From NYC to Lexignton to the Red

Original Post
Eyal Levy · · Manhattan, NY · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Hey, Chilean climber living in NYC for the moment.

I want to take the bus from NYC to Lexington this week, but I don't know how to get from there to the Red.

Is anybody going to Miguel's during the week that could give a ride? or any recommendations on how to get to Miguel's  from Lex that is not expensive?.

Thanks!. 

David K · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 145

I haven't been to The Red, but I was bummed you didn't get any responses, so I thought I'd tell you what I'd do in your situation.

Usually when I'm climbing somewhere I haven't been, I look up local climbing and see if they have a Facebook group or a forum, and then look for rides there. Sometimes that stuff isn't immediately obvious, so I'll contact a local gym to ask for information. In this case, LEF Climbing in Lexington may be your best bet. I'd call them and see if there are any local outdoor groups you could get in contact with.

Just be sure to support any local businesses you get help from! For example, when I stayed in Chatt, the folks at High Point were really helpful, so I got a month membership and took a class with Arno Ilgner while I was there. I probably could have found a cheaper way to get showers while living out of a car, but I don't mind supporting the local climbing communities and I got a lot more out of the rock gym than I would have gotten out of a Planet Fitness or whatever.

Mike Wilkinson · · Lexington, KY · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 266

It's only an hour from Lex to the Red, if you offered gas money you could probably find a ride. As David said, trying connecting with locals at LEF, the gym, and try to find a partner/ride.

Eyal Levy · · Manhattan, NY · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Thank you both for the replies. I’m going to take your advices.

Chris Votaw · · Georgetown, KY · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

When are you arriving? If the weather is good when you come down I could probably give a ride

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "From NYC to Lexignton to the Red"