Mountain Project Logo

Tollhouse Rock access

Original Post
Mark Straub · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 25

Has anyone been out to Tollhouse recently? I’m wondering if the access road is currently passable for a Subaru.

Thanks in advance!

Mark Fletcher · · Clovis, CA · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 11

I was there on May 18.  There are downed trees on the dirt road, so you cannot drive all the way to the normal parking spot under the power lines.  You have to park about 0.25 miles before the normal parking spot.  Perhaps someone has cut up the several downed trees blocking the road by now.  The steep section before this new parking spot at a wide section of the road is somewhat rough.  You could probably make it with a Subaru, but might scrape the bottom a bit.

Sam Peach · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Was there on April 19th this year before the trees came down so can't comment on that aspect, but I drive a 2014 Outback and made it fine to the gate just beyond the power lines.  Ended up parking at the pullout just before the power lines.  A couple spots are a little washed out but were definitely passable. Didn't scrape but probably came pretty close.

Road up to the top is definitely a wash, though, with gnarly ruts.  Will need a heavier duty vehicle for that.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

I think the downed trees are gone (I was there a couple of weeks ago). But just park where the dirt road begins. It's probably 15 minutes extra walking on the dirt road.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Tollhouse Rock access"