Mountain Project Logo

Totem cams.

Original Post
Thomas Gilmore · · Golden, CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 95

I know...not another totem thread!

I had a thought: would there be any advantage to a dual axle totem cam?

Pros, cons...discuss!

Next big thing!? I better get some royalties :D

Brandon R · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 63

Already obsolete, as I've invented the... TRIPLE AXLE CAM... patent pending. 

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,184
Brandon R wrote: Already obsolete, as I've invented the... TRIPLE AXLE CAM... patent pending. 

To late! I've inverted the quadruple axel. Inducing the new Clinkotem4.

Brandon R · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 63
rocknice2 wrote:

To late! I've inverted the quadruple axel. Inducing the new Clinkotem4.

First of all, that's a ridiculous idea. Secondly, my investors are not happy.
Marc-Olivier Chabot · · Gatineau, QC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 440

To be honest it's probably the next big thing in cam. I though about double axle totem since years. There is 2 possible way. 1) each brands will eventually copy the Totem. Then Totem will make a double axles to stay on lead. 2) another big brand will decided to jump directly on double axle totem to try to take the lead.
It's will happen, no doubt on this. 
Benefit: awesome range and useful in passive mode but heavier. 

Luke Lalor · · Boston MA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 10

I don't know if it would work as well as on the c4s. Because the load bearing cables are set away from the axle some to provide a lever, the love is more "centered" than on normal cama. If you were to separate the lobes by putting them on duel axles, I feel like the lever/butt would stick out too far.

I'm assuming if they had more space to give up, they could make a longer lever allowing them to increase range with by choosing a more aggressive cammming angle

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,184

It can't be done.
Unlike most other cams that use the stem and  axle to transfer the pulling load into the cam, the Totems use a cable that wraps around the back of the lobe. The Totem axle just isn't loaded the same way and doesn't get as much load as a regular single or double axle cam. It's in a flared placement that the camming angle decreases and the axle load increases.This is what gives them the increased ability to handle flared cracks better that the rest..
A double axle Totem will just try to flip over the link between the two axles.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Totem cams."