Mountain Project Logo

{removed} people attack John Long

Original Post
other · · San Diego, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 15

{removed by admin}_ people on so cal climbing group attack climbing stone master John long.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,477

Links or it didn't happen. Is this Buzzfeed now?

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,510
other wrote: Insane people on bolt chopping so cal climbing group attack climbing stone master John long,

John's a big boy, I'm sure he can handle it.

Right here 

Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 931

Smh.

People: "white males don't get an opinion or say in topics regarding women."

The same people: "why aren't white males speaking out against this, and being allies for women and the oppressed?"

Translation: climb with woke womyn womxn at your own peril!

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 11

This is why people vote for pigs like Trump...

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 155

Bruh, you’re misinterpreting online debate with an attack. Change the title of your thread to something like: “Meh” 

Tim Lutz · · Colo-Rado Springs · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5

Were all The Stonemasters white males of privilege?!

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 974

Oh boy, this again. Sigh.

In the wildest off chance Mr. Long sees this, when that survey a year or two back posted the results, their were some interesting "anomolies" in it.

• Men also reported harassment, even rape (at some time)
  • Gyms were included.
  • The age group/time frame means they could have been quite young.
What this said to me? It's quite possible gyms are not immune to the problems that any ​youth groups can have​​​. Climbing simply reflects our society as a whole, but it is also built on trust.

As a female, am I more cautious in the climbing context, especially with males out in some remote locale? You bet. But it isn't because they're male, it's because they're a climbing partner. "Screening" out people I wouldn't even want to have coffee with happens long before climbing.

Because of this, I trust climbing partners far more than the world in general. But a gym setting? A work setting? Then you are back to square one.

As far as John Long? He is a well known author, writing in his subject area, and thoughtfully adding in a bit on this touchy subject. Period, end of sentence. White, male, Republican (or not) is irrelevant.

And yes, I'm sure he can take care of himself. He will also get plenty of useful replies, and I'm sure be able to sift out the idiocy, step back, and let the shouters go at each other.

Best, Helen
Kalil Oldham · · Ardmore, PA · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 55

I can't figure this out. Melise is clearly responding to something John wrote in that original FB post. What was it that he wrote? Can it be shared here?

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 11,002

I just tried to back out gracefully from this - I also got called a bunch of names (child, insane, puke-inducing) including white privileged (yep a 1950's born working-class lad from the West Midlands) try as I might I couldn't convince a couple of people that their approach was a tad vitriolic and insulting. One person, in particular, kept throwing out that they had a Master's degree and was an expert. 

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 974
Chris Owen wrote: I just tried to back out gracefully from this - I also got called a bunch of names (child, insane, puke-inducing) including white privileged (yep a 1950's born working-class lad from the West Midlands) try as I might I couldn't convince a couple of people that their approach was a tad vitriolic and insulting. One person, in particular, kept throwing out that they had a Master's degree and was an expert. 

What's yer point, white boy, eh???? 

Yeah, sorry you had to wade through that. It happened on here, too, however, eventually, there was also thoughtful, respectful, conversation, including offline. That, those offline ones, was the start of some nice long exchanges I had with a few of my fellow climbers. No one should be expected to know what someone else's experience in life has been.  We only know that when we start talking, and listening.

Best, Helen
Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 11
Chris Owen wrote: I just tried to back out gracefully from this - I also got called a bunch of names (child, insane, puke-inducing) including white privileged (yep a 1950's born working-class lad from the West Midlands) try as I might I couldn't convince a couple of people that their approach was a tad vitriolic and insulting. One person, in particular, kept throwing out that they had a Master's degree and was an expert. 

Wait a sec, if I had one would that make me an expert too? About the only difference an MBA makes is that you have less money, and a piece of paper. 

Now, a Ph.D., that would make you an expert. Especially if it was in one of those oh-so-important fields that end in studies. 

Julian H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

Who is she to talk for all the women out there and why are all the men in the world treated the same? Why is this a black and white issue or republican/democratic.  This isn’t even a climbing issue, it is labeled climbing to get people like us pissed.

If it is a climbing issue the answer is really simple. Don’t go climbing with someone that is not the same gender as you. I doubt that will solve anything.

Climbing is supposed to be fun, get away from everyday BS and enjoy some quiet time, and the only abusing relationship is between you and a rock. 

Attentive Follower · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Lol, that forum is clearly not supertopo.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,040

How about a link to the whole thing, instead of couple screenshots/ the argument seems to be about something someone (John Long?) has said, but I don't know what it was.

Melisse and Georgie can often push their opinion past a reasonable consensus to a ridiculous conclusion, and I often disagree (and sometimes agree) with things that they say.

But from the screen shots I don't see an "attack" necessarily, more of an excerpt from a heated debate.  

John Long asked for input/opinion on something he wrote in some book chapter or online guide to something? And it appears that he doesn't like some of the feedback/opinions that he is getting about it? And things have degenerated to a discussion of whether he is the best person to be writing whatever it was he wrote, in the first place? That's about all I got from the screenshots.

I think you have to be a member of the group to see the forums.

It's a big group centered around the LA area. Most of the members are casual climbers. Of course there are going to be some crazies.  JL should never have engaged with them.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

From what I can see here, "psychos attack" seems like a really inappropriate representation of an online disagreement. 

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 290
Em Cos wrote: From what I can see here, "psychos attack" seems like a really inappropriate representation of an online disagreement. 

I don't see anything in the Melise posts that even references anything JL said. Her entire argument is that he is not credible only because he is a white male (and possibly a Republican, lol)

There's no debate from Melise. She does not even address what JL actually wrote. Her posts are a very long stream of ad hominem attacks focused on his race and gender.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Community Forum
Post a Reply to "{removed} people attack John Long"