Mountain Project Logo

Wild Iris Main Wall Parking Conditions today

Original Post
Dan Cooksey · · SLC, UT · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

I am about 2 hours north and would like to stop at Wild Iris for a day or so.  Can I get to the main wall parking area in my van?

Getting stuck would be no fun!

Thanks for any info on the area.

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,425
Dan Cooksey wrote: I am about 2 hours north and would like to stop at Wild Iris for a day or so.  Can I get to the main wall parking area in my van?

Getting stuck would be no fun!

Thanks for any info on the area.

I haven't been yet this season, but I highly doubt it based on the high snow year.  Luckily, I also doubt that you'd get stuck, you will probably just come to a point in the road where you can no longer proceed and either chose to turn around, or park there and hike the rest of the way in.

Dan Cooksey · · SLC, UT · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365
Ken Noyce wrote:

I haven't been yet this season, but I highly doubt it based on the high snow year.  Luckily, I also doubt that you'd get stuck, you will probably just come to a point in the road where you can no longer proceed and either chose to turn around, or park there and hike the rest of the way in.

Thanks for the info and also a bummer.  I’ll double check in town.  It’s like 70 and sunny.  So beautiful down in Riverton

John L · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 175

The forecast seems like it may snow. I would imagine Ken is right, although sometimes limestone mountain road can be driveable but the road to the main area parking is drifted.

https://www.wyoroad.info/highway/webcameras/WYO28RedCanyon/WYO28RedCanyon.html

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,425
Dan Cooksey wrote:

Thanks for the info and also a bummer.  I’ll double check in town.  It’s like 70 and sunny.  So beautiful down in Riverton

yeah for sure, the iris is just so much higher elevation that it stays snowed in quite late:(

ATLWY · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I actually drove up there today and the last hill to the main parking lot is drifted in. The weather appears to suck this weekends as well. Lower parking for the Aspen Glades/North Counrty approaches are also drifted. Give it a few more weeks!

Dan Cooksey · · SLC, UT · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Thanks for the info.  Sinks was pretty awesome last night.  Might just hang out down low and come back another time.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Wild Iris Main Wall Parking Conditions today"

Log In to Reply