Mountain Project Logo

G7 Pod Portaledge... It's released.

mpech · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
ClimbingOn wrote:

Yes. My concern stems from two things. First, as the temps drop below freezing the air in the "ledge" will compress significantly, making for a very sub-optimal sleeping experience. It will be nearly impossible to inflate it while sitting on it, so in the middle of the night you're going to have to get up, dangle in your harness, and re-inflate it before getting back on it. In the process you will have to get outside of the fly, which will lose the warmth you have built up inside of the fly.

Another very real cold-weather concern I have is with the buildup of ice crystals. Having attempted to store a very cheap inflatable raft outside in sub-freezing temps, I learned that the air inside, which has a certain amount of moisture content, can partially freeze causing ice crystals which will pop the material. This would be a significant concern if setup in a storm and in one place for several days where retreat would be difficult or life-threatening.

I was not attempting to debate if this ledge is reasonable for fair-weather ascents in Yosemite. I was merely disputing the all-encompassing statement of "I can't think of any reason why I would chose the antiquated portaledge from now on."

How many people sleep in sub freezing conditions on a portaledge? My guess is less than 20 in the whole world every year....

Andrew Vink · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxIFnezDLSM/

Looks rigid enough to stand on?
Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 290
mpech wrote:

How many people sleep in sub freezing conditions on a portaledge? My guess is less than 20 in the whole world every year....

Really?  Never been to the Valley in early spring or late Fall?   I’ve climbed in sub freezing temps in Zion with a ledge.  Nighttime temps on many walls drop below freezing in the shoulder season when there are lots of parties on the walls.  

Andrew Vink · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

Its a full insulated 4-season pad? 

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 526
Andrew Vink wrote: Its a full insulated 4-season pad? 

I'm not saying you're lazy, but I am saying your question is one a person too lazy to actually look for information themself would ask. 

It took me all of 30 seconds to click the link given on the first page of this thread and scroll down the landing page to find this answer to your question. 

"The G7 POD is a four-season synthetic insulated ledge saving you the weight and cost of an additional sleeping mat"

Edit: or to click on your profile and see this

Also if they are using drop stitch technology or something similar at provides a very rigid platform.   Self bailing rafts use the same type of technology and they are very rigid even when exposed to frigid water temps.  
I haven’t looked too closely at these ledges but I have to laugh when reading the comments of naysayers about material not being up to snuff and losing air or not being rigid enough.  These issues have all been hammered out in other areas like packrafts and sleeping pads.   It’s laughable to think they wouldn’t have thought long and hard about these issues before bringing it to market.  Not to say they are indestructible but come on, give them a little more credit than that. 

Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39

Too many Kevin's in this thread for my taste. 

Nate Doyle wrote: Too many Kevin's in this thread for my taste.

Impossible!!  There can never be too many Kevin's

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,703
Nate Doyle wrote: Too many Kevin's in this thread for my taste.

Not nearly enough Andrews yet... We need to get those numbers up.

dindolino32 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 25

Well there must be quite a few believers as they really rocked it!

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 526

I want that bigwalls book stretch goal!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "G7 Pod Portaledge... It's released. "