Mountain Project Logo

New BD cams

Ma Ja · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 86

If I was a cam manufacturer, I'd put everything on hold and stop making cams until Totem's Direct Loading patent runs out. I can't see any new design being better. Totems could certainly be improved, but that key piece is what really separates them from everyone else.

Jared Chrysostom · · Charleston, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5
Ma Ja wrote: If I was a cam manufacturer, I'd put everything on hold and stop making cams until Totem's Direct Loading patent runs out. I can't see any new design being better. Totems could certainly be improved, but that key piece is what really separates them from everyone else.

But... capitalism.

Jared Chrysostom wrote:

But... capitalism.

Yup, and I won't be buying them.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,510
Ma Ja wrote: If I was a cam manufacturer, I'd put everything on hold and stop making cams until Totem's Direct Loading patent runs out. I can't see any new design being better. Totems could certainly be improved, but that key piece is what really separates them from everyone else.

Totems are totally over-rated.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1
Tradiban wrote:

Stirring the pot I see...you know what will happen.

In the same vein, I wish DMM would just admit they have no idea when their new Dragonfly cams will reach retailers here in the states. I bought three from Campsaver and there is no indication that they will actually be able to deliver them...bastards.
Tradiban wrote:

Maybe, but that margin is still better than anything else available. I guess when something is the best, they tend to be hyped a little more than necessary. I bought my set at $63/ from campsaver, so they can be had at a reasonable price if you're willing to wait, just like anything else. I can't wait to see BD, WC, and DMM's take on the "Totem". Something tells me Metolius will just keep doing their thing. 

Jason4Too · · Bellingham, Washington · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

Is that in all sizes or is there a specific size that you don't think will hold it's rating?  It looks like the black is good for 6KN up to 13KN for the orange.

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 35
Jason4Too wrote:

Is that in all sizes or is there a specific size that you don't think will hold it's rating?  It looks like the black is good for 6KN up to 13KN for the orange.

Maybe he means the numbering system -- the Black Totem is similar to a .2 X4, but is called a Totem 0.50.

#stopcaminflation
Nolan Huther · · Potsdam, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 542
Ma Ja wrote:

Something tells me Metolius will just keep doing their thing. 

Good
Sawyer W · · Van · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Who cares what a cam is called size wise? You show me one crack you have measured and I will eat a (drawing of a) quick draw.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 210

Anyone who’s read a guidebook that said “gear to 4’’.

Sawyer W wrote: Who cares what a cam is called size wise? You show me one crack you have measured and I will eat a (drawing of a) quick draw.

If I've learned anything, it's that Tradiban cares.

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
NegativeK wrote:

Maybe he means the numbering system -- the Black Totem is similar to a .2 X4, but is called a Totem 0.50.

#stopcaminflation

Closer to a .3 not .2.  I have an x4 .1 and .2, also ul master cams 00 and 0 they're sizes almost equate identically. 1 ulmc is very close to black totem. Same with .3 X4.

Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Closer to a .3 not .2.  I have an x4 .1 and .2, also ul master cams 00 and 0 they're sizes almost equate identically. 1 ulmc is very close to black totem. Same with .3 X4.

Just give it time, man. The Fed will fuckin' inflate the Black Totem so that it's down to the .2. Just you watch.

Sizing cams with blockchain consensus is the only way, man! Just let me tell you about my Initial Cam Offering....
NegativeK wrote:

Just give it time, man. The Fed will fuckin' inflate the Black Totem so that it's down to the .2. Just you watch.

Sizing cams with blockchain consensus is the only way, man! Just let me tell you about my Initial Cam Offering....

An even smaller black totem? Not such a bad thing 

Jeffrey Addison · · Anaheim, CA · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 20
Tradiban wrote:

^^^^This hippy knows his shit!

How many of you have actually whipped on micro cams anyway?!?

Purple C3 caught me on my worst whip in Tahquitz last year. I gave it marginal at best when I placed it. Shows how much of a gumby I am and also how bomb C3's can be in good rock. For perspective it wasn't my farthest fall, it was about 15', just my worst one. Take that for what it is. But I'm glad as hell it held. Needless to say I'm a believer in the 3 lobe now. Always considered them mental pro before that whip.

Thom Feuleri · · SF · Joined 3 days ago · Points: 0
David Murphy wrote:

Alright let’s hear it.

That's beautiful engineering. The c3s were ugly compared to this. When can I buy?

Thom Feuleri wrote:

That's beautiful engineering. The c3s were ugly compared to this. When can I buy?

Why call this a C3? It has 4 lobes. Stem looks like a UL mastercam stem w a pigtail type protector. Components look blocky like in BD ULs. Crazy looking cam I'm sure is fun

Thom Feuleri wrote:

Probably sooner than a Dragonfly

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,510
Jason4Too wrote:

Playing dumb is not good trolling. DM me for troll tips.

Totems have an improved design of the traditional 4 lobe cam but they aren't a game changer, they are expensive and kinda heavy. In "real" climbing they won't make a difference, just a fancy toy to show off.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "New BD cams "