Mountain Project Logo

Small CHEAP stick clip for ascending up routes


Original Post
Ma Ja · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 116

Anyone know of a light, short, and cheap extension pole for clipping to a harness? Im looking for this to stick clip up nearby routes to access tops of cliffs? I was thinking a 2ft-6ft would do the trick, but maybe 2ft-8ft would be better. 

Parker H · · Indianapolis, IN · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

8ft will be too short in my opinion but look at kailas stick clips. Painters poles you can thread some webbing through the handle end and clip to your harness. 

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Ma Ja wrote: Anyone know of a light, short, and cheap extension pole for clipping to a harness? Im looking for this to stick clip up nearby routes to access tops of cliffs? I was thinking a 2ft-6ft would do the trick, but maybe 2ft-8ft would be better. 

The world of angling is full of extending poles though we just  pick up a stick off the ground. My personal clipstick is a 20ft festival pole, you can usually leapfrog past intermediate bolts with it.

Ma Ja · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 116
Jim Titt wrote:

The world of angling is full of extending poles though we just  pick up a stick off the ground. My personal clipstick is a 20ft festival pole, you can usually leapfrog past intermediate bolts with it.

I have a long stick clip that's great, but 5.5ft hanging off your harness sucks a lot of the time. What do you mean "world of angling"? As in fisherman's tools? Do you have a link or particular product? 

Trango Beta Stick Compact is pretty much what I'm after, but would never buy one because you can't use a SuperClip, and they're not long enough for real stick clipping advantages, like taking down the second draw from the ground, and mainly because it's over priced by more than half. Any tiny beta stick out there that's dirt cheap?

I like Jim's idea of grabbing sticks, but I'm willing to buy a tiny one just for bolting that I can climb with, without worry of a six footer taking me out.

I actually tie a few slings together and have my stick clip trail behind me about 15 feet or so. Seems safer.
Go Back to Super Topo · · Back of my truck · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 260

Kailas stick clip. Not the most durable but small and effective 

Ma Ja · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 116
Go Back to Super Topo wrote: Kailas stick clip. Not the most durable but small and effective 

Isn't that one a "tent pole" design? I don't want to mess with something that isn't self contained. I could already see that thing flying around because it came undone. It's expensive too. 

Roots · · Redmond. OR · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

Boooooooooooooo!

Aron Roberts · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 61

I think you're looking for a Kong Panic?

https://www.karstsports.com/kong-panic-45cm/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplpK029900&sc_intid=K029900&gclid=CjwKCAjwq-TmBRBdEiwAaO1en0VrEEGcKAxGUyAj3lcfv0twAn0yA-yzS46eYKuPVvigdsFDbzoQVBoC19cQAvD_BwE

Ma Ja · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 116
Aron Roberts wrote: I think you're looking for a Kong Panic?

That's not what I'm looking for. I'll be sitting at one bolt, trying to clip the next one.
Chipper Maney · · Seattle · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 30

What you need is a rope gun....

Brother Numsie · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

The process of stick clipping up a route is known as Fraiding.

J T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0
Ma Ja wrote:

Isn't that one a "tent pole" design? I don't want to mess with something that isn't self contained. I could already see that thing flying around because it came undone. It's expensive too. 

No, mine extends out like a paint roller, it's just really short, skinny and can be floppy at time (  ) but seriously works the best for projecting a new line/your scenario

Aron Roberts · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 61
Brother Numsie wrote: The process of stick clipping up a route is known as Fraiding.

This is what Im getting from this post. Youre going to have to put the big boy pants on and lead some routes. 

Ma Ja · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 116
Aron Roberts wrote:

This is what Im getting from this post. Youre going to have to put the big boy pants on and lead some routes. 

With 30+lbs on, on a static rope. I need some real big pants, bro. 

Ben Pellerin · · Spaceship Earth · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Looks like you been ticking off easy trad routes. Why not stick to that? Or take up aid climbing. Not sure stick clipping your way up a sports route will improve your climbing much.

The real question is why you would even want to do this. Seems like you would enjoy top roping more. Same accomplishment less work.

Ma Ja · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 116
Ben Pellerin wrote: Looks like you been ticking off easy trad routes. Why not stick to that? Or take up aid climbing. Not sure stick clipping your way up a sports route will improve your climbing much.

The real question is why you would even want to do this. Seems like you would enjoy top roping more. Same accomplishment less work.

Does no one read the category of the posts before commenting? I climb moderately hard sport, I'm learning trad and taking my time with it, but if I was talking about any of that, I'd post it in those categories. 

I'm bolting routes. I'm carrying a ton of weight on my harness. I'm using a static line. Get out of here with that macho, balls out, "just give it up if you're not climbing on my level" bull shit. Tiny stick clip anyone, that doesn't usually walk around with their tick list stapled to their dick, out showing everyone how bad ass they are? How about you go put some lines in, and bolt it on lead with a static line? Make sure to buy some Twist Bolts from Jim. They're amazing. 

Aron Roberts · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 61

Calm down Kyle Walker.

Ben Pellerin · · Spaceship Earth · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0
Ma Ja wrote:

Does no one read the category of the posts before commenting? I climb moderately hard sport, I'm learning trad and taking my time with it, but if I was talking about any of that, I'd post it in those categories. 

I'm bolting routes. I'm carrying a ton of weight on my harness. I'm using a static line. Get out of here with that macho, balls out, "just give it up if you're not climbing on my level" bull shit. Tiny stick clip anyone, that doesn't usually walk around with their tick list stapled to their dick, out showing everyone how bad ass they are? How about you go put some lines in, and bolt it on lead with a static line? Make sure to buy some Twist Bolts from Jim. They're amazing. 

Dont go having a hussy fit on me dood. Maybe you could clarify by explaining in a way people can understand? 

Literally everyone reading this thread thinks you want to climb sport by stick clipping every bolt.  

Use your words to state your intentions not trying to start shit. So sensitive.

You can read my ticks and I won't have an ego meltdown.

You think I was coming at you brah?

Goodluck stick clipping your way to route setting glory spazzz
Ma Ja · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 116
Ben Pellerin wrote:

Dont go having a hussy fit on me dood. Maybe you could clarify by explaining in a way people can understand? 

Literally everyone reading this thread thinks you want to climb sport by stick clipping every bolt.  

Use your words to state your intentions not trying to start shit. So sensitive.

You can read my ticks and I won't have an ego meltdown.

You think I was coming at you brah?

Goodluck stick clipping your way to route setting glory spazzz

How many sport climbers are looking to access the top of cliffs, and how many use the term 'ascending' to mean climbing up a route? I used plenty enough words to explain what I was trying to do, in the Fixed Hardware section of MP. And I'm not setting routes, I'm just adding hardware so you can climb cool lines. Route setters are found in gyms. Thanks, dood, for your valuable input. 

Alan Emery · · Lebanon, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 237

I use a short extension pole ... something like the extendable ones shown here.  You can find them at any paint shop or stores like Home Depot.
https://www.grainger.com/category/paint-equipment-and-supplies/brushes-rollers-and-trays/paint-roller-extension-poles

Marlin Thorman · · Spokane, WA · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 471

From the previous angling comment.....Here is a link to a pretty compact one.  Only 15" long all pushed together but it extends to 12 feet.  Carbon fiber so it is light. Lots of other similar rods in the fishing world.  allfishingbuy.com/Fishing-P…

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Small CHEAP stick clip for ascending up routes "

Log In to Reply