Mountain Project Logo

First Outdoor Kid Climb, Near Pigeon Forge TN, Ijams Crag.

Original Post
Michael Plumer · · Rochester Hills, MI · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 16

My family is heading to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee in June. I’m looking for a good climbing area to top-rope with my kids. My 6 and 9 year old just stated climbing this year, both can handle Gym 5.7s and 5.8’s if they are not reach-ey. This will be their first outdoor experience. I’m looking for recommendations on an area where they can succeed and enjoy themselves. I can lead an set-up on a sport route. Any recommendations? Ijams Crag? Or is there another place? Any hidden guide walls?
Thank you.

waldo · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 30

Do you live in the area?  If so I know of a few places I take my kids to. I jams has some easier stuff on the far left. Sometimes the holds can be a pita I have had one or two break on me, only climbed there twice. Stay on the trail and keep the kids out of the poison ivy.

Obed has some easier routes too but might be a little more than you are looking for. It’s a little further but much more visited and has a couple of camping locations. Obed is frequented by climbers all year so you may run into someone that can help point you in the right direction. Plus if you decide to boulder they have that too. 
Feel free to contact me. I’m always looking for someone else with kids who is looking to take them out to the crag. 

Waldo,

We live in Michigan and are renting a place in Pigeon Forge. Thanks for the reply and the  poison Ivy advise (priceless). Looks like Obed would be great for me but a bit of a drive from where were staying. Do you know anything about Devil's Race Track Area? Looks pretty remote. Were coming in and leaving on I-75.
I'll shoot you a message. Thank you.

Ben Pellerin · · Spaceship Earth · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

If your taking 75 from Michigan to Tennessee it might be worth stopping in red river. The most accessible climbing from Severville will be ijams in Knoxville. Obed will be about 90 minutes and there's tons of climbing in Chattanooga about 2.5 hours away.

pat a · · ann arbor, mi · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

Fellow Michigander Dad....

The Red is generally more friendly for small kids than Tennessee, so maybe just swing by on your way.  In Obed, even easier routes tend to be a little more horizontally blocky with longer reaches.  There's tons of stuff that my youngest got up when he was 5-7 years old in Kentucky, but he basically sat out our last trip to Tennessee.  

Always happy to offer up route suggestions in the Red!

Paul Coakley · · KY · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 25

Bays Mountain park is 1-1/2 to 2 hr drive from PF.  Good top rope set up.  Super great for kids.  I hit it up during a family visit in the area and it was fun.  Easy but fun.
https://www.mountainproject.com/area/111947944/bays-mountain

Pat and Ben,
I wish we could stop at the Red, we might have to make a detour on our way home.  It is the best place. I’m actually heading to the Red in late summer with the grownups. Thanks for all the help.

If you had the time and really wanted to take the kids out climbing I would say drag them up this.
https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105874396/the-nose 

Or this.
https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105887520/the-great-arch 
I have been trying to convince my son it would be fun for years but he is much happier staying low to the ground on top rope. 

waldo wrote: If you had the time and really wanted to take the kids out climbing I would say drag them up this.

Or this.
I have been trying to convince my son it would be fun for years but he is much happier staying low to the ground on top rope. 

I think a multi-pitch is a great place to start, jump in head first, in the deep end with no life jacket. LOL.

Michael Plumer wrote:

I think a multi-pitch is a great place to start, jump in head first, in the deep end with no life jacket. LOL.

Exactly. Lol

We are now planning a stop at the Red on our way. So, with a Saturday afternoon and a Sunday morning at the Red, I'm thinking Muir Valley. Any other suggestions?

Nick Hitchcock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 46

get the graining fork permits if you can.  might be less people. 

pat a · · ann arbor, mi · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

Muir is loaded with great stuff.  Hard to go wrong with that for a day.

Eureka at Global Village would be an awesome climb for a single Sunday morning climb.  Long, juggy, interesting and a nice view.  There's not much else in that area that isn't trad or >5.10 sport, so make sure you get there a little on the earlier side to make sure you're not stuck in line.  Beautiful hike, too.

Graining Fork is a good one, too.  There's a fun 5.3 trad route (gumby land) at the far right that can be toproped off of the 5.7 next to it (C Sharp or B Flat).  Super easy and you get fun exposure on those routes.  Get permits when you're at a PC before you go because it's sloooowwwww doing it on a phone with limited cell service.

Paul Coakley · · KY · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 25

Kids = Bruise Bros wall at Muir Valley.

Jim Urbec · · Sevierville, TN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 56
Michael Plumer wrote: Waldo,

We live in Michigan and are renting a place in Pigeon Forge. Thanks for the reply and the  poison Ivy advise (priceless). Looks like Obed would be great for me but a bit of a drive from where were staying. Do you know anything about Devil's Race Track Area? Looks pretty remote. Were coming in and leaving on I-75.
I'll shoot you a message. Thank you.

Michael, 

I'm in Sevierville.

Devil's Race track - it's out of the way and pretty steep and rigid approach.  It's not well travelled so no "obvious climbers trail"  lucy in the sky is great two pitch but not during june when bees are active.

Obed - is definitely going to be biggest and closest selection of sport, trad, bouldering, and TR options. you can camp at the lilly pad. The beer and food are awesome and really does complete any Obed trip.  It's the Obed's version of Miguel's pizza.

ijams crag - good for a quick half day/afternoon outdoor session.  probably a real good first exposure for kids, short of a full planned trip to bigger areas ala Obed.  plus you can rent some SUPs or kayak and cool off in quarry afterwards.

Onsight climbing gym in Knoxville if you're looking for a gym during bad weather etc.
Jim Urbec · · Sevierville, TN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 56
the great e: If you had the time and really wanted to take the kids out climbing I would say drag them up this.

Or this.

the great arch in June.... we did it july 4th last yr.  scorcher 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "First Outdoor Kid Climb, Near Pigeon Forge TN,…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.