Mountain Project Logo

22-25 liter climbing pack recommendations

Original Post
James C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 134

My Patagonia Ascensionist 25 liter is getting pretty holey, and I think it's a matter of time before the side panels disintegrate. They no longer make this size. Are there any decent replacements? Should be able to carry a rope, and have some kind of side attachment system (compression straps, loops, or daisy chains) for carrying skis in an A-frame, and hopefully weigh 1.3 lb or less. Don't want to go much larger than 25 l because I find that volume works well for me, and I have an Osprey Mutant 38 l that I really like. Currently considering the Osprey Mutant 22 and BD Speed Zip 24.

Pete H · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Check out Cassin Eghen 22. Climbs great. Meets all your criteria.

Hmm Eghen 22 is a bit on the heavier side, but looks great.

Koy · · Denver, CO · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 85

Really good experience so far with my BD speed zip 24.  No complaints whatsoever, but I would never use it to carry skis.  It does everything else really well though.

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292

I'm on my second Tufa Mochilla. Truly a superior pack. Doesn't have ridiculous fancy features. Just the simple necessary shit. The VX fabrics are super burly and can withstand some pretty serious hauling. Josh is a super nice guy that hand makes these in his garage in Montana. I'd recommend the cinch top for ease of access while on route. 

Chris K · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 136

The new version of that Patagonia Ascensionist would probably work well. It’s 30L on the listing but more like 28L. 

Jared Chrysostom · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5

Mutant. 

Zachary Winters · · Winthrop, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 430

The Arc'teryx fl-30 is 23 liters, 20oz, burly, waterproof, and a great climbing pack.

Sadly it looks like it doesn't include the tiny webbing slots to accept voile ski straps like the fl-45... Lame! Would have only cost about 2 grams.

Sam Robbins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Osprey Skarab might be something to look into. My brother uses it as his crag pack and he's impressed with how light, and easy it is to deal with. I pack reeeaally light so I used the Osprey Raptor 12L which is a mountain bike pack but I've found a way to alter it and use it to pack in draws like crazy!

Norm Larson · · Wilson, Wy. · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 60

Tufa Mochilla. Best small climbing pack out there. Josh is great to deal with. Look up Tufa and contact him for what you want. Definitely the cinch closure is better for actual climbing.

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

An alpine pack, or custom rig from Alpine Luddites would work well.  

You may want to take a look at:
1. Mammut Trion Light 28L
2. Mountain Equipment Tupilak 30

I own an Arc'teryx Alpha FL 30 (23L) and it's a great pack, but no side compression for skis.  There are ways to rig skis to it with a ski strap, though.

mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,885

Check out the offerings from
Ortovox. Sale pricing is very competitive and things like Reco reflectors and included rain covers depending on the model are nice. 

Matt B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 472

I just got this pack (Scrambler 25, new model) from Mountain Hardwear, and it is awesome. Everything you need, plus some, in a super light, cinch able package that remains quite durable and comfortable on long approaches. I just scrambled for ~4 hours in Eldo with this baby (couldn't find the "obvious descent gully") full of a double rack to #4, and it was great. You get a discount as AAC member, too.

EDIT: I don't ski, so I'm not sure if it works for that...

AlpineIce wrote:
I own an Arc'teryx Alpha FL 30 (23L) and it's a great pack, but no side compression for skis.  There are ways to rig skis to it with a ski strap, though.

How? Angle carry in the shock cord + straps?

It seems the TUFA Mochilla is a favorite in this thread. I just emailed Josh. The Mochilla and the FL 30 seem the most streamlined of the packs mentioned.
rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

Mochilla looks great.  I'd caution against the drawstring top though.  I have the analogous top on the Patagonia 18L Linked pack and it is very far from weather-proof; rain and snow both get in pretty easily, so in my opinion not a closure for alpine conditions.

I too have the Arctyrex FL 30, which is a superb pack in most regards, although not configured for carrying skis. It has a drawstring top, but underneath that is an optional roll-top collar, so you can have the ease of access of the drawstring top when the weather is good with the (seam-taped) weather proofness of a roll top if conditions demand it.

C J · · Sac Valley, CA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Another vote for Osprey Mutant.  My earlier edition 28L is far and away my favorite pack, with swiss army knife like flexibility.  

Jakob Melchior · · Basel, CH · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

maybe also have a look at the UD SCRAM. I haven't used it but looks quite cool.

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

Have the discontinued mutant 28, I can’t think of a single thing I’d change, add or remove. The 22L seems very similar in design, but haven’t looked at one in person.

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

I've never owned one, but I've read that Blue Ice packs out of Chamonix are well thought-out & reasonably light.  At $89, their Dragonfly 25L looks like a decent option. If someone's looking for more of an alpine-focused Blue Ice pack, then checkout their Warthog 30L and 45L.

Niccolo Gallio · · mainly Italy · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0
Koy wrote: Really good experience so far with my BD speed zip 24.  No complaints whatsoever, but I would never use it to carry skis.  It does everything else really well though.

Hi, do you carry a rope on it?

I read a review that says the rope strap forces the rope too close to your neck, do you find this true?
Thanks
Koy · · Denver, CO · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 85
Niccolo Gallio wrote:

Hi, do you carry a rope on it?

I read a review that says the rope strap forces the rope too close to your neck, do you find this true?
Thanks

Nope... haven’t had any problems w/ the rope creeping up over the pack. Not really sure how that would happen.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "22-25 liter climbing pack recommendations"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started