Mountain Project Logo

Holcomb Valley Road Conditions?

Original Post
Camron · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

How is the dirt road on the way to the south parking lot? Just wondering if it has gotten any worse since we had a lot of rain and snow this year. I drive a sedan so I’m trying to get an update on the road conditions before I go.

Johnathan Tran · · San Diego, CA · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

I went to the north parking lot this past weekend and the road was a little worse than usual, but not too bad. I'd expect the same is true for the road for the south parking lot. There were tons of cars there including lower clearance vehicles so I wouldn't be too worried. Well there was a fire last weekend and it was pretty packed.

Thanks! Also, I saw the post about the fire. I'm glad they were able to contain the fire.

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 11,044

Be aware there's rain in the forecast this weekend - that might generate some pools/mud, especially if there's a downpour.

Justin S · · Plattsburgh, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 120

After it rains you most likely will not make it past Wilbur’s Tomb without a high clearance vehicle. If it rains while you’re there you should probably leave if you do t have one. I’ve met a couple that ended staying an extra day because they couldn’t get out.

I wasn't planning to go to Holcomb until June. Although thanks for the info on what to expect if there's been heavy rain. Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes for the roads to dry out after heavy rain? I'm guessing it should be fine by the time I go, provided that we don't get any more big storms.

Justin S · · Plattsburgh, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 120

The areas that end up with deep ruts and deep puddles are in the shade so it can take a week or so to dry up. Last time I went up there after decent rain fall I was up to the top of the tires in my Jeep, and they’re 31’s. Sometimes you can make it off to the side of the ruts, but if you slid into them it’d be a nightmare. I’d stick to the low clearance trail, but I don’t head down that one to much so hopefully someone else can give you that info. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Holcomb Valley Road Conditions?"