Mountain Project Logo

Fall from 2nd Flatiron [video; somewhat disturbing]

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
Kyle Walker wrote:

Relax, I just found you on Strava lol. It’s not like I broke into the NSA to find out it takes you 30 min to run 2 miles on flat ground lol.

Meh, I’ll get better as my foot heals. Just have to keep working at it. 

Tara Nichols · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0
Tan B wrote:

That's gotta be sarcasm, right?!  

Ross Goldberg · · Los Angeles · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 46
Tara Nichols wrote:

That's gotta be sarcasm, right?!  

You are pretty late to the party, this ship sailed last week, he is trolling

Kyle Walker wrote: I can’t believe you guys are still typing about me lol. I feel honored.
I really appreciate the well wishes from the select few of you. Thankfully I have begun to find tons of humor and healing power in the overly sensitive majority of you guys. So easy to troll lol. So easy to offend. Sometimes I wonder who’s actually the injured one lol.
Apparently Im a terrible person for posting my video, I get that. I also understand that i had no real idea of the difficulty (or lack there of for all of you young Alex Hondas). But that video could be a pretty solid deterrent to young, fearless dumbasses like myself.
I’ve had 3 chest tubes put in because my lung kept popping and I don’t think all 3 combined hurt me as bad as I hurt yalls feelings lol.
Typing back is good for the slight concussion I received. And being able to find humor in the thinned skinned climbing communities callous comments and conclusions about me is just good for my healing all around.
Keep up the good work _{edited out by Admin}_

It's not the video I (and many others I'd assume) find offensive, it's all the profane and insensitive and outright rude and cocky comments I'm seeing others post that you've responded to since then.  It's hugely disappointing to see how you've handled yourself so defensively after the fact.  Kyle if you see this, calm down a notch, because you wouldn't have to fight so much with others if you handled yourself more maturely here on the internet.  There's classier ways to handle the criticism and responses.  I had zero reasons not to respect you before seeing all your comments to others.  That's where you really dug yourself in a hole.

Ross Goldberg wrote:

You are pretty late to the party, this ship sailed last week, he is trolling

I see that, the only reason I'm here now is because I saw the story on world news from a few days ago and I'm wondering how I didn't hear about it before!  I kinda wanted to keep reading through the 20 pages just to catch up but dang, I'm quickly changing my mind.  He's definitely a tool.  Oi.

Tara Nichols wrote:

I see that, the only reason I'm here now is because I saw the story on world news from a few days ago and I'm wondering how I didn't hear about it before!  I kinda wanted to keep reading through the 20 pages just to catch up but dang, I'm quickly changing my mind.  He's definitely a tool.  Oi.

He is. Also he’ll stalk you on Strava just to leave comments in his unique style. 

Chad Miller wrote:

He is. Also he’ll stalk you on Strava just to leave comments in his unique style. 

Haha, what a bummer it all came down to this.  Well nothing to see there, I run the same five mile loop at a ten minute pace so I'm no one special and could not possibly be offended by anyone :)  I think I have a private profile too.  Sigh.

Ross Goldberg · · Los Angeles · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 46
Tara Nichols wrote:

I see that, the only reason I'm here now is because I saw the story on world news from a few days ago and I'm wondering how I didn't hear about it before!  I kinda wanted to keep reading through the 20 pages just to catch up but dang, I'm quickly changing my mind.  He's definitely a tool.  Oi.

Make a coffee and read through. This thread is a saga on the scale of The Iliad

Ross Goldberg wrote:

With grandma fucking. 

Ross Goldberg wrote:

You're super accurate, I was sipping coffee while doing so!  I actually read through about page 15, then skimmed through the last 5 so I think I'm all caught up.  Poor guy should have just stopped talking way back, that's what turned it into a shit show.  He needed a PR manager, so much of this could have been prevented, you know?  I started out with an open mind but quickly lost all respect with how he handled himself.  All right, signing off!  Have a good one folks, stay classy.

Fritz :-) · · The Western Slope · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 430
Ross Goldberg wrote:

Book I:

"Sing, O Muse, the wrath of Kyllies son of Tradiban,
that brought countless ills upon the MPaeans.
Many a brave soul-oer did it send hurrying down the Flatirons
and many a GoPro did it yield pray to crag dogs and vultures
for so were the counsels of Burch fulfilled from the day
on which the son of FrankPS, king of men, and great Kyllies
first fell out with one another."

Book XXII:

"And so you too, noble son of Tradiban
beloved of grandmothers, did say unto Burch
"Why, son of Hellanor, do you, who are but man
Give chase to me, who am immortal?
Have you not yet found out that it is a Youtube god
 whom you pursue so furiously? You did not harass the Trojans
pleasure-studded and ribbed for maximum sensation,
and now they are within their walls, while you have trolled hither
Me you cannot kill, for death can take no hold upon me."
BillS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Too much This post violated Guideline #1 and has been removed. around here, IMO.  Ya'll have devolved into a bunch of weak PC trollbait.

TBlom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 360

In I way I feel for the guy...  owns his own screw up publicly and gets roasted by the MP police.  It does bring a few questions to mind:

-When is someone ready to solo?
-Who gets to decide if that person is ready?  The internet at large?
-If Honnold dies soloing, is he a hero or an idiot? (or any other great soloist)
-Was Dan Osman a hero or an idiot?
-Was Dean potter an idiot or a hero?  (granted these guys had tons more experience, but they had to start somewhere!)
-Is highball bouldering for idiots or heroes?  Is it soloing?

It clearly takes a certain type of individual to push their limits that way.  I never soloed rock that I didn't have wired, just not my thing to onsight solo.  I did fall soloing Lamb's Slide many years ago, late season hard lumpy ice.  I was lucky enough to self arrest before cratering into the talus below.  That was 'BGPE'  (before go-pro era), not that I would use one now...  At the time, I had a lot of climbing experience, not much on ice.  If I was injured would I be a hero or an idiot?  Lamb's Slide is pretty darn easy, easy enough that roping up feels silly, I just managed to take a rest stance on some rotten ice, and suddenly was accelerating toward the talus.  Idiot or hero?  Maybe the closest I have come to dying either way.  What if the pick hadn't stuck on that self arrest attempt?  

This guy clearly has some learning to do, but he did have the Cajones to take a chance, something we celebrate in climbing.
Heal well Kyle, take it slow, you're clearly a brave guy, and maybe someday the internet police will see you as a hero.

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75
TBlom wrote: 
-Was Dean potter an idiot or a hero?  (granted these guys had tons more experience, but they had to start somewhere!)

Neither one died while soloing...

And I don't celebrate "cajones" in climbing. I celebrate making educated decisions and taking well calculated risks.
Reformed Troll · · Western US · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0
Fritz :-) wrote:

Book I:

"Sing, O Muse, the wrath of Kyllies son of Tradiban,
that brought countless ills upon the MPaeans.
Many a brave soul-oer did it send hurrying down the Flatirons
and many a GoPro did it yield pray to crag dogs and vultures
for so were the counsels of Burch fulfilled from the day
on which the son of FrankPS, king of men, and great Kyllies
first fell out with one another."

Book XXII:

"And so you too, noble son of Tradiban
beloved of grandmothers, did say unto Burch
"Why, son of Hellanor, do you, who are but man
Give chase to me, who am immortal?
Have you not yet found out that it is a Youtube god
 whom you pursue so furiously? You did not harass the Trojans
pleasure-studded and ribbed for maximum sensation,
and now they are within their walls, while you have trolled hither
Me you cannot kill, for death can take no hold upon me."

Old Me: Amazing

New Me:  Amazing

Fritz :-) · · The Western Slope · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 430
Reformed Troll wrote:

Old Me:  Amazing

New Me:  Amazing

Thanks to Russ for the alley-oop!

TBlom wrote: "... maybe someday the internet police will see you as a hero."

I initially was giving the benefit of the doubt as well, but after reading all 20 pages of the back and forth from all parties, I didn't feel like anyone was attacking or policing out of line, and instead he came back with some extremely immature, inflammatory, and unnecessary responses... maybe you didn't see that?  But that's just my takeaway.

Danny Gilbert · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25
TBlom wrote: In I way I feel for the guy...  owns his own screw up publicly and gets roasted by the MP police.  It does bring a few questions to mind:

-When is someone ready to solo?
-Who gets to decide if that person is ready?  The internet at large?
-If Honnold dies soloing, is he a hero or an idiot? (or any other great soloist)
-Is highball bouldering for idiots or heroes?  Is it soloing?

This is dumb. You can't compare the sport's greatest soloists with a dude who can't tell the difference between 5.9 and 5.13. What happened to Kyle is closer to when a hiker stumbles off of a 14er. Although Kyle fell on a rock climb, he is obviously not a climber and didn't really understand the situation he was getting himself into. Dean Potter understood what he was doing just fine when he solo'd, and he's not an idiot. Kyle might not be an idiot, but even he would agree he did an idiotic thing. 

... oh and where the hell is Peter Croft on your list?!
Mark Pilate · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

Be the ball Danny -  you missed two points to emphasize above.  As previously stated neither Dan nor Dean died soloing, and Peter is still alive.  
So logic says Kyle is more like a modern day Peter Croft.  

(Said with a straight face)

(Points though if you get the reference before your name above)

Danny Gilbert · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25
Mark Pilate wrote: Be the ball Danny -  you missed two points above.  As previously stated neither Dan nor Dean died soloing, and Peter is still alive.  

(Points though if you get the reference before your name above)

I know how Dean and Dan died and that Peter is still alive. I guess I thought he was just listing out badass solo climbers (Honnold is on there, and he's not dead). I guess my point was just that these guys were (or are) willfully climbing stuff that they basically understand and Kyle did not really understand what he was trying to do. Some people disparage him for trying to climb a 5.13 in tennis shoes, but what difference does it make if he called it a 5.13 or a 5.2 when he doesn't know what that stuff means. He was essentially a hiker that was off route and got in over his head and shouldn't be compared to a climber that understands what they're doing. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Fall from 2nd Flatiron [video; somewhat disturb…"

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.