Mountain Project Logo

Marseille / Calanques: Looking for a guide or leader (paid)

Original Post
Caspar van Lissa · · Amsterdam, Netherlands · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0

(Français en bas) I am a passionate amateur climber (for 14 years) looking for a paid guide or climbing partner to climb the Calanques. My bouldering level is 6B+. My lead climbing level is low (5A), but I am a very reliable belayer. My level of outdoor climbing is about 6A. I will be in Marseille to teach a workshop at the University of Aix-en-Provence (my PhD is in developmental psychology). I will be in Marseille from June 21 to 23, and I would like to find someone from the local climbing community to enjoy the beautiful nature of the Calanques together, and I am happy to pay for the effort!

With sincere regards, Caspar

Je cherche un guide ou leader rémunéré! Je suis un grimpeur amateur passionné à la recherche d'un guide rémunéré ou d'un partenaire d'escalade pour escalader les Calanques. Mon niveau de bloc est de 6B+. Mon niveau de leader est bas (5A), mais je suis un assureur très sûr. Mon niveau d'escalade extérieure est d'environ 6A. Je suis docteur en psychologie du développement, enseignant à l'université d'Aix-en-Provence. Je serai à Marseille du 21 au 23 juin, et j'aimerais trouver quelqu'un de la communauté locale d'escalade pour profiter de cette belle nature ensemble, et je suis heureux de payer pour cet effort !
Avec mes sincères salutations, Caspar

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 16,608

It's easier to enjoy more of "the beautiful nature of the Calanques" . . . if do not mix that with roped climbing. Plenty of Wonderful non-difficult sea-cliff scrambles + hikes / trail-runs, not to mention sea-kayaking.

Generally find higher rock quality + less polished around Marseille + Toulon on new crags outside the Calanques.

Anyway June 21 is likely rather hot for many Calanques g.v. classics -- better to climb at higher-altitude crags inland.

Ken

Caspar van Lissa · · Amsterdam, Netherlands · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0

Dear Ken,

thank you for your advice. Do you know anyone in the region perhaps? Because without a guide or lead climber, I won't be climbing anywhere ;)

Best,
Caspar

Hadrien D · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

You should ask here : https://forum.camptocamp.org/, "Partenaire" section ;)

chris magness · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 590

Can not attest to a guide.  Beware of theft, however, in that region.  We were parked at the University in Marseille hiking around, came back to our car and our laptops and cash had been stolen.  Credit cards, phones, passports remained and the car alarm had be reset!  The problem is epidemic in that region, professional thieves are good at what they do and know what to take- it was pointless for us to contact the police.

Did some sport climbing at Chateau Verde.  The whole region is spectacular.  Enjoy your trip!

Caspar van Lissa wrote: without a guide or lead climber, I won't be climbing anywhere ;)
Not "climbing" in the Calanques is no great loss, since the hiking + scrambling is so great.
. . . and don't forget sea-kayaking.
Get the "pink select" guidebook, and look in the Rando-Pedestre sections.

Or do some obvious web searches for "guide escalade" or "climbing guide".
Or phone some of the indoor gyms ("salle d'escalade") and just ask if then know some guides.
chris magness wrote: We were parked at the University in Marseille hiking around, came back to our car and our laptops and cash had been stolen.

In what year roughly did that happen?

I've parked my car at hiking/climbing trailheads around the Calanques and surrounding region lots of days in the last ten years -- taken basic precautions -- never had my car broken into.
Lots of local residents do the same all the time nowadays.

Might want to also check the multiple stories in the past couple years on MountainProject forums about thefts out of climber's cars around other major cities:
notably San Francisco and Salt Lake City.

Ken
chris magness · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 590

2014.  Well known as a high theft/ problem area.  Do not leave cash or valuables in your car.  Still worth a visit, the region is awesome.

JaredG · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 17

I doubt MountainProject is a great place to search for French guiding services.  If your French is good enough to write that paragraph, then you have a leg up on most folks here.  For example, Google got me to these guys, who guide in Verdon (which would probably have better weather in June): http://sud-ascension.com/.  [If you really boulder at Font 6A then you should have little problem following a French 5c.]

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Marseille / Calanques: Looking for a guide or l…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started