Mountain Project Logo

Vandalism on classic boulders at Rotary (Horsetooth) - and what we can do.

Original Post
Devan Johnson · · RFV · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 525

For those who haven't seen it, some truly reprehensible vandals decided to desecrate some of the most classic boulders in Colorado. Most of it is on the cat eye wall, but the Eliminator boulder got it as well.  

I wanted to start a thread to get some community input on how we can best remove this as fast as possible, while preserving the rock as best as we can.

I have contacted Larimer county open space, but in the meantime, I'm curious if anyone in our community has experience with this. Additionally, it's not a bad idea to see who's interested in helping out with whatever cleanup efforts are necessary.  I know this has happened before in other areas (and and rotary) so there's precedent on how this is best handled.

Kyle Taylor · · Broomfield CO · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

There was a lot of this in north Ga when I first started climbing. It’s not uncommon in certain areas. There’s a popular graffiti removal chemical called “elephant snot” that’s great for removing this kind of stuff. The local climbing club would organize clean ups. No reason we couldn’t do the same here. 

Carolina · · Front Range NC · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20

SUper sad about the Graffiti.  Some really good memories bouldering on those walls you have pictured.  I mean nothing against hearts and shrooms but really this just aint the place for this stuff.  PLease keep the Graffiti on the trains and bridges.  Its much prettier that way.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

Seconding elephant snot. Used it on the Morrison boulders and it worked well.

Joe Manlove · · Sonora, CA · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 108

Third for elephant snot. Also, Worx makes a battery powered sprayer that can draw from a bucket. I think it's called 'hydroshot'. I picked up a refurb from their Ebay store for just this problem. It doesn't work as well as a pressure washer, but it won't strip off sandstone and it's an awful lot less work than a backpack sprayer.

Huge thanks for the input. I'm on it. 

Todd Bruns · · Golden , Colorado · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Last time I was there I chased some kids off that were tagging. Fuckin degens. 

Dustin B · · Steamboat · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 1,275

Contact Ben at NC3, I think they have may have cleaned graff off these very rocks not too long ago, might even have some elephant snot for you.

Malcolm Daly · · Hailey, ID · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

I’m pretty sure we cleaned graffiti off these walls in the seventies. It still sucks...I hope the cleaning chemicals have gotten better. 

Malcolm Daly wrote: I’m pretty sure we cleaned graffiti off these walls in the seventies. It still sucks...I hope the cleaning chemicals have gotten better. 

They have for sure. But elephant snot is not something I’d call eco friendly! Use gloves and take serious precaution using it. I work in a career field where I’m exposed to a lot of chemicals and I can assure you you don’t want it on your skin.

Joe Manlove · · Sonora, CA · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 108
Kyle Taylor wrote:

They have for sure. But elephant snot is not something I’d call eco friendly! Use gloves and take serious precaution using it. I work in a career field where I’m exposed to a lot of chemicals and I can assure you you don’t want it on your skin.

It's not as bad as poison oak, but it's not pleasant either. For sure, put some goggles and gloves on.

Ron O · · middle of nowhere, southern… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Todd, you don't "chase off" taggers.

You put an immediate beat down on them and empty their paint cans onto THEM!

Examples work wonders.

Northern Colorado Climbers Coalition · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

Hey everyone,

This truly does suck. Graffiti is an all too common problem at Horsetooth and we've tried multiple ways to handle the vandals. Larimer County has stepped up patrols and they even installed a portable security tower with cameras to monitor the "Stoner Cave".

We have some taginator on hand and we'll try to get this cleaned up asap. So unfortunate, but thanks for bringing this to our attention.

, Ryan

Ben Scott · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 3,932

Bummer to hear everyone, but it will likely continue to be a problem into the future. Larimer County Natural Resources is well aware of the on going problem and continues to try and mitigate the issue. Most of the time its kids sneaking in after hours. LCNR has been patrolling the area at night but vandals still get through. Rotary is sadly an urban climbing area now and has to deal with all the bullshit that goes with it.

I have a bottle of taginator left, we will try and get up there asap to clean it off.
-Ben Scott, nococlimbing.org

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Rotary has had graffiti vandalism since before you were born. Boulders have been tagged there for years. Very frustrating and annoying. 

grog m wrote: Rotary has had graffiti vandalism since before you were born. Boulders have been tagged there for years. Very frustrating and annoying. 

I mean it’s so inviting, it just calls to be painted on! 

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
Ron O wrote: Todd, you don't "chase off" taggers.

You put an immediate beat down on them and empty their paint cans onto THEM!

Examples work wonders.

In a perfect world, Ron...

I'd say make them huff their whole supply, they can get their jollies that way.
Ross Goldberg · · El Segundo · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 143

I'm not from the area but if this is a common occurrence someone should put up a Trail Camera somewhere to try to catch the vandals.

Ben Scott wrote: Bummer to hear everyone, but it will likely continue to be a problem into the future. Larimer County Natural Resources is well aware of the on going problem and continues to try and mitigate the issue. Most of the time its kids sneaking in after hours. LCNR has been patrolling the area at night but vandals still get through. Rotary is sadly an urban climbing area now and has to deal with all the bullshit that goes with it.

I have a bottle of taginator left, we will try and get up there asap to clean it off.
-Ben Scott, nococlimbing.org

Ben and Ryan- let us know how or when we can lend a hand. I have resources ( power washer, etc) we can lend to the clean up. Thanks for your stewardship. 

Ben Scott · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 3,932

Sounds good Devan. I think we're stuck with the backpack sprayer and a plastic brush, that stone is way too soft for a power washer. It might be wed/thur this week. keep ya posted.

Bug Boy · · In my car · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 81

there was also some graffiti at the base of the Dogleg crack

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Vandalism on classic boulders at Rotary (Horset…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.