Mountain Project Logo

Mazama Summer

Original Post
Helen Johnson · · Lander, WY · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Helllooo everyone.
So, I am currently in nursing school :(, but have the summer off! :)! I was considering moving to Mazama and getting a waitressing job for the summer, with the idea to climb up on Washington Pass and the surrounding areas as much as possible. A friend of mine said that not many climbers live there, and it can be hard to find partners. I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is the truth, or if there are climbers that move in for the summer and there will could be potential partners. Thanks!
Helen

IJMayer · · Guemes Island, WA · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 350

I have not done what you're proposing to do, so this is with a grain of salt.

My guess is that a lot of climbers come through, but you'd have to be very outgoing and talk to a lot of people to try to find partners. You'd also probably have to use mountain project a lot to try to link up with people from out of town.

Given there are not many other work opportunities, my guess is that other potential climbing parters living and working in mazama will be outward bound people or climbing guides. both of those groups have odd schedules and from my experience, tend to be an insular group, because they already have people to do things with.

All that being said, judicious use of MP and being outgoing would probably get you out a bunch.

but why leave lander in the summer?

saign charlestein · · Tacoma WA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 1,690

There's a climb Mazama facebook page too

jwbertagna Bertagna · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 10

I'm going to be moving up to Mazama in July and staying through September. I don't know anybody up there so I will be searching for partners to climb with as well!

Scott Kiser · · Winthrop, WA · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

I live here in the Methow Valley just outside Mazama. There are climbers who live here (a few are family members). My nephew lives here and climbs regularly (when he isn't traveling the world to climb elsewhere). I am sure he could help in that area for you. You could also talk to the outdoor shops in Winthrop for other contacts as well.

IJMayer · · Guemes Island, WA · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 350

glad i was wrong!

Helen Johnson · · Lander, WY · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I'm fired up on long cascade granite routes (and the cascades in general) and would just love to have a consistent partner, instead of randoms all summer...

Darin Berdinka · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 267

Might consider that the last two summers have been an insufferable smoke show on the east side and this summer is projected to be hot and dry starting off with a significantly lower than average snowpack.

Kumar FK · · Durango · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

I'm moving to Mazama to work at OB for the  summer -- also looking to climb at WA pass and the Goat Wall as much as possible. I don't know anyone up there yet and am also looking for partners. Currently recovering from an injury but it will hopefully be better by the time the season ramps up. Let me know if you're interested!

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,723
Darin Berdinka wrote: Might consider that the last two summers have been an insufferable smoke show on the east side and this summer is projected to be hot and dry starting off with a significantly lower than average snowpack.

This ^ is important. Mazama was too smoky to safely climb for almost the entire month of August the last 2 or 3 years. I just returned from Washington pass/Mazama and the creeks, lakes, and rivers were looking a little low. Not good for this upcoming summer. Work is also hard to come by. But if you can make it work, it's definitely one of the best/most accessible climbing destinations in the state. 

Zachary Winters · · Winthrop, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 430

Hi Helen,

Awesome that you're psyched on the Methow. I moved here in 2013 for a summer job and never left. I love it here - a really special place.
Sure, certain things like finding partners and work can take a little more effort, but are far from impossible. Lots and lots of climbers make it work.

If you're looking for dining-industry type work, I know that the Rocking Horse Bakery in Winthrop is looking for new hires right now. Call them up and ask for Steve :)
Summer is a big influx of tourism based jobs, including dining. Call around to places like the Old Schoolhouse Brewery, East 20 Pizza, Freestone Inn, Mazama Store, Sun Mountain Lodge, Arrowleaf Bistro, Woodstone Pizzaria, etc. Being open to working in Winthrop or Twisp will improve your options.

For partners, just head to Fun Rock and be friendly. Even if it doesn't end up being your favorite crag, there's always folks there to connect with. It's also common to post for partners-wanted on the local climbers FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/424991680921009/

We're having several crag stewardship / trail building work parties this year, both at Fun Rock and WA Pass. Another great way to connect with some locals.

I'll be the first to admit that the biggest challenge of the Methow in the summer is heat / smoke. Heat is easy to escape by just climbing in the mountains (WA Pass and beyond) or at a few lesser-known crags. If it's a big wildfire year, smoke can be unavoidable at times. At other times, there can be inversions or the right wind to clear smoke out for climbing at WA Pass. Smoke is everywhere these days - places like Squamish even get shut down for smoke every once in a while.

Hope this helps! Give a holler if you have any other questions about the area. Cheers

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
ditasi lidy wrote:

to safely climb for almost the entire month of August the last 2 or 3 years. I just returned from Washington pass/Mazama and the creeks, lakes, and rivers were looking

I appreciate your comments because in the summer they

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Mazama Summer "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started