Mountain Project Logo

Vanlife? Can I see your bedroom?


Original Post
GDodds dodds · · Portland Maine · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

I built out a sprinter van.

On several occasions, some folks passing by have asked to see inside of the van and on a couple occasions they have knocked on the door/window. Once while eating and once my partner and I were changing our clothes..  If the door is open and we are having a beer, of course come on over.. but when its closed up etc...? 

I have mixed feelings about this because
1. I understand its neat and people want to see how/what you did
2. Its my bedroom etc... privacy?

I was curious what some folks think about this and what they have experienced? 

Spaggett, Gotcha! · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

Is it reasonable to expect privacy when you drive your bedroom into public?

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Spaggett, Gotcha! wrote: Is it reasonable to expect privacy when you drive your bedroom into public?

Yes. 

Is your home or apartment On a public street? Unless you live at the end of a dirt road that you own, can I just knock on your front door and ask to see the inside of your house? 

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
mediocre wrote:

Yes. 

Is your home or apartment On a public street? Unless you live at the end of a dirt road that you own, can I just knock on your front door and ask to see the inside of your house? 

You can actually. In fact do. .....I've got candy

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 327
GDodds dodds wrote: I built out a sprinter van.
Sounds cool. Pics?
sean o · · Northern, NM · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 30

Knocking on the door?  Ew, weird.  Maybe slightly less so if you're in an RV park, but still...  weird.

Jon Frisby · · midwest/west circuit (Indiana) · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 120

You’re right it’s weird

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

  Should be common sense. doors closed it's private. doors open and you look like your chilling and sociable I will approach  and ask what your climbing and possibly do you guys play music?  if your build is cool and  we start talking vans 99% of the time you can't get the person to stop talking about their build and showing you all the cool stuff they did. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,510
GDodds dodds wrote: I built out a sprinter van.

On several occasions, some folks passing by have asked to see inside of the van and on a couple occasions they have knocked on the door/window. Once while eating and once my partner and I were changing our clothes..  If the door is open and we are having a beer, of course come on over.. but when its closed up etc...? 

I have mixed feelings about this because
1. I understand its neat and people want to see how/what you did
2. Its my bedroom etc... privacy?

I was curious what some folks think about this and what they have experienced? 

I already covered this.

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/114143172/is-your-van-your-home​​​
GDodds dodds · · Portland Maine · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

I already covered this.

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/114143172/is-your-van-your-home

holy cow. 

Hamish Malin · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

If the door’s closed it’s definitely rude to knock - better to just break out the drill and fiber optic cameras.

Russ Keane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 170

"some folks passing by"

So was this in a climber parking lot?   Or general public.    Either way it's kinda weird, but much less weird if it's your peers at a climbing area.

Michael McNutt · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

Does castle doctrine apply to your 100k kitted out sprinter van?

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

I see you are from Portland, Maine. I also lived in Portland Maine, built out a van and then lived in that city in the van for 10 months, and then left. Those 10 months sucked ass. People in Portland are nosy as fuck about vans and people in the north east don't get the van thing. I suggest you do what I did and get the hell out of Maine.

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75
Michael McNutt wrote: Does castle doctrine apply to your 100k kitted out sprinter van?

"from my cold, dead hands"

GDodds dodds · · Portland Maine · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0
Michael McNutt wrote: Does castle doctrine apply to your 100k kitted out sprinter van?

110k.. get it right... 

I think Portland Maine is a fantastic place.. i see some folks down by the uhaul place on marginal way in vans but I don't imagine anywhere on the peninsula is too ideal for living out of a van..  
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Vanlife? Can I see your bedroom? "

Log In to Reply