Mountain Project Logo

Tips For New Users Coming from Supertopo

Hamish Malin · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

27. Use your real name as your handle, or come to Fredericksburg and fight me.  Your choice.

28. YGD

29. Locals only means locals only.  If you’re not fifth generation your not local, so GTF outta Woodson.

Don Ferris III · · Eldorado Springs · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 175

30.  DO NOT come to the forum asking for help if you have not done the research. 

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 54

31. make sure to tell everyone about a locals only area where you climb, then refuse to tell anyone where it is

Ron O · · middle of nowhere, southern… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0
Fehim Hasecic wrote:

What heroes are you talking about? It’s like you were doing something groundbreaking. It’s just climbing rocks.

Its about climbing rocks to most of the people here.

But those who have experienced the tribulation of pioneering a long or difficult route have pantheons.

I'd say who are in mine but name dropping is verboten.
Matt N · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 337

If you have to ask, the rock is wet.

Follow-up: Make sure you post on MP after seeing people climbing on said wet rock, their dog shitting at the base, music blasting, improper belay, TR setup,etc, but only after you slink away without saying anything.

Jon Frisby · · midwest/west circuit (Indiana) · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 120
curt86iroc wrote: 31. make sure to tell everyone about a locals only area where you climb, then refuse to tell anyone where it is

Don’t forget to post vague pictures 

Kelley Gilleran · · Sacramento, Ca · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 2,800
Bryan · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 351

No the history and glory day stuff on SuperTopo is awesome, we need more of it here.

300. It's kind of okay to be a little bit mean if it's a quick quip, funny, and you don't have real beef the person and never single anybody out - only if there is a clear, funny response (all in good fun)

Not that weird SuperTopo stuff that sometimes comes up where somebody clearly actually hates another person in real life and they single them out on the forum and slander them - that shit is weird.

Ron O · · middle of nowhere, southern… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0
Bryan wrote: No the history and glory day stuff on SuperTopo is awesome, we need more of it here.

300. It's kind of okay to be a little bit mean if it's a quick quip, funny, and you don't have real beef the person and never single anybody out - only if there is a clear, funny response (all in good fun)

Not that weird SuperTopo stuff that sometimes comes up where somebody clearly actually hates another person in real life and they single them out on the forum and slander them - that shit is weird.

Worse yet the poster who you gave a quarter grand to help out with neck surgery then forgets and hurls vile insults at you on a second amendment thread, then deletes and denies like I can't read.

Carolina · · Front Range NC · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 75
Ron O wrote:

Worse yet the poster who you gave a quarter grand to help out with neck surgery then forgets and hurls vile insults at you on a second amendment thread, then deletes and denies like I can't read.

That guy sounds like a real jerk. 

Sloppy Second · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
Ron O wrote:

.....aaaaand here we go!

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 903

420. MPers cain't count worth shit, leastways not past six withouts takin there shoez off'n burrowin there gurl frinds toez to.

Guideline #1 (clarified): if you piss off Old Lady H you've gone too far and will shortly receive a pm in which you will be assumed to be a reasonable humanoid who is having a less than stellar day and/or under/over stellar adult beverages and/or too many pain meds and/or truely are so OCD that you find runon sentences devoid of much in the way of punctuation let alone gramners truly painful, even though you may actually be rather brilliant and almost functional in your real life and almost certainly nicer in person unless you just got the crap beat outta ya by burchey, but hey, if it makes ya feel any better I once managed to pick a fight with Hank Caylor, yes, THAT Hank Caylor, he's pretty nice by the way, an boy howdy does he look good, but I picked this fight see...

And I won.

I cheat.

OLH

Weston L · · NEVADASTAN · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 851
Ron O wrote:

Worse yet the poster who you gave a quarter grand to help out with neck surgery then forgets and hurls vile insults at you on a second amendment thread, then deletes and denies like I can't read.

Unfortunate situation, Ron, but also never knew "a quarter grand" was a thing - $250.00?

Old lady H wrote: 420. MPers cain't count worth shit, leastways not past six withouts takin there shoez off'n burrowin there gurl frinds toez to.

Guideline #1 (clarified): if you piss off Old Lady H you've gone too far and will shortly receive a pm in which you will be assumed to be a reasonable humanoid who is having a less than stellar day and/or under/over stellar adult beverages and/or too many pain meds and/or truely are so OCD that you find runon sentences devoid of much in the way of punctuation let alone gramners truly painful, even though you may actually be rather brilliant and almost functional in your real life and almost certainly nicer in person unless you just got the crap beat outta ya by burchey, but hey, if it makes ya feel any better I once managed to pick a fight with Hank Caylor, yes, THAT Hank Caylor, he's pretty nice by the way, an boy howdy does he look good, but I picked this fight see...

And I won.

I cheat.

OLH

Crikey, folks! Right here we have one that was transplanted at birth from supertopo and will fit right in with our new refugee population.  If we look closely, it may even every now and then make a coherent post....

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 903
Weston L wrote:

Crikey, folks! Right here we have one that was transplanted at birth from supertopo and will fit right in with our new refugee population.  If we look closely, it may even every now and then make a coherent post....

Clearly you have no appreciation of the literary style whereby one's tongue is so far in cheek as to be sometimes spotted wagging out one's ear? For shame, sir!

H.
Old lady H wrote:

Clearly you have no appreciation of the literary style whereby one's tongue is so far in cheek as to be sometimes spotted wagging out one's ear? For shame, sir!

H.

When it is planted so firmly in cheek it is poking out the brown eye, it is oft easy to confuse...

Buck Rogers · · Germany · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 5

42.  Once a thread hits page 2, all bets are off, the rules go out the window, the gloves come off and the value of any post is inversely porportional to how far it is away from the first page. 

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,476

43. A detailed accounting of your inner motivations and personal history is not required in every post.

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 172
Rokjox Teleski wrote: So the guy who is buggering Pokey is the Nancy around here that enforces the rules of Roget and Emily Post?

I think he has shown a bit of a inferiority complex.  Hes really afraid that we old guys who can type with four fingers will remove his venue for mastery of the  other insecure playmates.

Muster Gumby, put it away.  While it is true that most of us possess education, experience, courage, money, sex appeal and  really BIG TRUCKS; we do not come here to take your women away.   We are facinating, it is true, but we dont eat much and we do a lot of heavy lifting.

When you get old enough that the US Government pays you to just stand around and pontifcate, (like it does us) you will have the perspective to understand our wisdom.   After all, we are the paid professional loafers, and you are meerly an amateur (its OK, you got prospect, your good at being a ... whatever...)  Many of us have thousands of hours a year we can spend following and understanding the real world of climbing; and we will report back a condensed, redacted view of that world.  We kiin be your William Barr, MP-Trumpsters!.

Its for your own good, you clearly are not mature yet.   Poky isnt even the same species, perv.

Did you read any of the posts? Given you are new here it CLEARLY would do you some good.

Old ponies can learn new tricks too. JAH FEEEL MUH?!?! welcome to MP brajmahala dingdonomous
. Mobes · · MDI, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 865
Tim Stich wrote: 43. A detailed accounting of your inner motivations and personal history is not required in every post.

Ha!

44. When about to start a new thread ask yourself if it should be posted in the over 50 thread instead.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Community Forum
Post a Reply to "Tips For New Users Coming from Supertopo"