Mountain Project Logo

David Lama, Hansjörg Auer and Jess Roskelley missing

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

^^^
Jeff Lowe had a similar comment after their trip to Nuptse together.  For Twight it was an existential experience; Lowe said something more to the effect of 'well, it was a trip to the mountains'.

Jon Frisby · · midwest/west circuit (Indiana) · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 120
Joe Manlove wrote:

Thanks. It bother me beyond belief that the tragic death of such an amazing young woman was so ignored by coverage of HK's suicide. The entire community is poorer for her loss.

Remember too, the trauma continues for the members of SAR who have who have to dig their friends out of the snow.

trust me, around Montana and Wyoming, no one ignored her passing. Everyone is still reeling

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60
PatMas wrote:

I wasn’t trying to pick it apart, one of the quotes earlier in this thread made it seem like the Rosskelly that said ‘they’re dead. They aren’t missing’ was the rosskelly that was climbing with them.  

Yes it is very likely (basically a certainty) that their dad has info that we don’t, especially with he himself being an experience climber. And yes it is very likely that they are gone forever. But still seems a little early (with what is publicly available) to be saying with any certainty that all three have died.

Do you know who his dad is?  Look him up. Hint: he was awarded a Piolet D'Or for lifetime achievement.  One, he knows more about and has more experience in the mountains than most of us ever will. And, two, he likely has additional information as well.  

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Fat Dad wrote:

Do you know who his dad is?  Look him up. Hint: he was awarded a Piolet D'Or for lifetime achievement.  One, he knows more about and has more experience in the mountains than most of us ever will. And, two, he likely has additional information as well.  

The roskelleys are local legends around Spokane. Still, John is much more famous in Europe for his achievements than he is in his home town. This is devastating. I have several elite partners that have climbed or do climb w jess. Only ever good things to say about the humble guy. Really seems otherworldly that this happened to the 3 of them. 

Big B · · Sin City, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 205

I'm far from an alpinist, but have come to know these names over the past several years as I have turned more of an eye towards the mountains.  Lama and Rosskelley especially impressed me with their seeming ability to ride the cutting edge in the safest, most methodical way, knowing they were capable of things that nobody else was, but maintaining humility.  I know less of Auer, but have read of his feats, which speak for themselves, although big free soloing seems a bit closer to the raw edge than I would place Lama and Rosskelly.   Despite knowing the inherent risk in each objective they took, I looked forward to seeing what Lama and Rosskelley were going to do in the future, and fully expected to see them doing it.  The news of their passing, along with Auer, truly shook me.  When Steck passed, I honestly wasn't surprised.  Despite his strengths, the style in which he decided to take on the mountains seemed like it only had one logical end.  This event on the other hand cements the knowledge that no matter the level of skill and preparation, in the end nature has the last word.  
May these three rest well, and the stories of their time and memories they have left inspire for generations.
Deepest condolences to the families and friends of all three, and hopefully they can find some strength in knowing they do not grieve alone.  

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 205

Whoever is managing Rosskelley's IG apparently hasn't read the comments on his page. This is from about 5 mins ago.

Anthony D · · Rochester, NY · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0
Paul L wrote: Whoever is managing Rosskelley's IG apparently hasn't read the comments on his page. This is from about 5 mins ago.

Likely his account utilizes an auto-like feature/software, which works based on hashtags.  Lots of celebrity or professional accounts use them. 

Matt S. · · Milwaukee, WI · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

They found a picture on Jess's phone showing them potentially on the summit.

Rock and Ice Article​​​
CO Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Thanks for posting Matt. Auer’s quoted words are a little prophetic. 

"Climbing and mountaineering on the borderline of possible is a game – a risky game… but one that I cannot live without. The game is simple, the rules always the same. The present moment counts for everything. I want to do things that push me. With all my heart or not at all. The more intense it is, the more enriching it is, and the stronger the feeling that I am heading in the right direction.

I do however begin to ponder. Especially when I am injured or after a close call. I think about my friends. I think about what it would be like if one day I didn’t return, if I had to pay the price for the mountains.
And yet I cannot resist to take on the challenge time after time. I will never stop searching because what I find fascinates me every time I head out.“
Thank you to all for your kind words.
Our thoughts are with the families and friends of David and Jess.

Family and Friends of Hansjörg.

Nick Votto · · CO, CT, IT · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 320

Looks like the boys finally repeated one of the great North American alpine routes (Backes, Blanchard, House).  Rest Easy

Matt S. wrote:

They found a picture on Jess's phone showing them potentially on the summit.

Rock and Ice Article

Steven Roberts · · San Jose, CA · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0
Anthony D wrote:

Likely his account utilizes an auto-like feature/software, which works based on hashtags.  Lots of celebrity or professional accounts use them. 

I figured it was something along these lines, my girl sent me a screenshot of a pic she posted yesterday that he liked.  

FosterK · · Edmonton, AB · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 60

More details here regarding the recovery:

https://gripped.com/news/parks-canadas-report-on-deadly-howse-peak-avalanche/

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "David Lama, Hansjörg Auer and Jess Roskelley mi…"