Mountain Project Logo

What are your Favorite Lesser Known Climbing Areas?

Aaron G · · Current: Ljubljana · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 76
CrimpDaddy-WesP wrote: Its not unknown by any means, but Jackson Falls in So Ill is one of my favorite places. There are so many 4 and 5 star 12a climbs that you can hop from classic to classic all day. On the busiest days I've seen it, we've had whole walls to ourselves. If you enjoy slab, crimps, and pockets, this is the place for you. it's also a good drive from any major cities, which I think prevents people from overcrowding the place. Also, the climbing is spread out along the cliffline pretty nicely, so you're not bumping into other people on your project. Its got some really unique routes and technical masterpieces. For those who are used to the Red, the New, and the Obed, this bit of central/eastern climbing gives a fresh change of pace. 

@Wes looks great! Seems like a dream for 12s (as you noted).

If you're willing to share some of your personal account, could you email me at gerry [dot] aaron [at] gmail?

Tyler S wrote: Won’t find much about it online but Hocking Hills is an Ohio gem

Definitely seems low key. The Spider Monkey problem looks rad! 

I didn't realize there was so much climbing in Ohio.

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674
 So cal Choss piles rock! No San Deigo Local will find it.
Parachute Adams · · At the end of the line · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0
bruno-cx wrote:

Hit me up next time you are in town. You can help with with the manual labor.  It's no easy task to use multiple come alongs, large pry bars, chainsaws and other assorted landscaping tools and techniques to make the landings good. The base of boulders do not get de-vegetated by themselves. Know any one with some military surplus agent orange, might help us open some new areas at roy a bit sooner. 

I'll leave Roy to the front range crowd. Don't need them sniffing around the rest of the state.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
Top Raven wrote:

I'll leave Roy to the front range crowd. Don't need them sniffing around the rest of the state.

The only people I know who go to Roy are from the Texas panhandle so I wouldn't be too worried.

Mack Johnson · · Silverdale, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 989

Laddins Rock, Old Greenwich, Connecticut
Dumplington Hill in Raymond, New Hampshire.  
Mt. Erie, Washington
All a bit off the grid, accessible, and lots of micro-cragging on unusual rock.  Erie is much bigger than the other two.  
And the heck with keeping "your" or "my" crags secret.  Spread the love, and share the ethics, especially for any area that has an established history.

Colby Wangler · · Reno · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 321
Todd R · · Vansion, CO / WY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 40
Mack Johnson wrote
And the heck with keeping "your" or "my' crags secret.  Spread the love, and share the ethics, especially for any area that has an established history.  

Agreed! 

I've had a few beers, so I just want to say I'm fucking fed up with listening to people argue about the "sanctity" of a place just because they've heard about it and others haven't.

None of us were the first on these lands and we all follow in the footsteps of tradition. Deal with it. 
Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674
Some places should left off the map we must be able to get away from the crowd at some point. But if you can find it go for it, good luck!  Basically if you get off your butt you can find tons of rock that is untouched!
Mack Johnson wrote: Laddins Rock, Old Greenwich, Connecticut
Dumplington Hill in Raymond, New Hampshire.  
Mt. Erie, Washington
All a bit off the grid, accessible, and lots of micro-cragging on unusual rock.  Erie is much bigger than the other two.  
And the heck with keeping "your" or "my' crags secret.  Spread the love, and share the ethics, especially for any area that has an established history.  

Mack, The Dump looks great! Never heard of that, and it looks like you've had quite an influence on developing it. Very cool.

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262
Aaron Gerry wrote:

Mack, The Dump looks great! Never heard of that, and it looks like you've had quite an influence on developing it. Very cool.

Don't listen to the other recommendations.... They obviously have not climbed at south woodson. This area needs to be put on the map! No guidebook either.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What are your Favorite Lesser Known Climbing Ar…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started