Mountain Project Logo

Texas canyon camping?

Original Post
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Having a hard time figuring this out from the MP area page and the Slater SoCal guide.

Is there a legal, safe place to tent camp somewhere nearby? Free is good, Forest service fee ok, California State Park less desirable as they seem pretty expensive. But better than nothing!

Feel free to PM if discretion advised.

Thanks in advance!

Bump for beta

Spopepro O. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Dispersed camping is fine in the area around Texas canyon (national forest). I’ve found impacted sites a little walk beyond the crags with nice rocks to cook on. No water available anywhere.

Great, thanks!

David Carrera · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 55

Or drive about a mile further and camp at Staging Area 1 ( or even further for 2 or 3) and get picnic table, shade structure, and fire ring, vault toilet. During the week you'd probably be alone and have company (OHVers) on the weekend. Always a chance for kids showing up to party at Staging Area 1 but I don't think beyond that.

Thanks for all the ideas.
For future reference- I think van camping at the trailhead would be feasible. Not too many (any?) pullouts on the road before then.
The OHV staging area is kind of bleak- again, I think #vanlife would work fine, but we didn't feel comfortable setting up a tent and leaving our stuff unattended all day.
Otherwise didn't see any obvious good spot for car side tent camping.

The crag itself was fun, interesting moves, but pretty fragile rock.

Good ATT cell coverage on the walk in, not really any at the parking, limited at the OHV staging area.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Texas canyon camping?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.