Mountain Project Logo

Approach trails!

Original Post
Randy Von Zee · · Darien, IL · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 19,014

I see these are in the app now, which is great because it is probably more important to see them there than on the web maps.

A nice next step might be the little red dots for routes, either appearing at a high level of zoom, or perhaps even better as a clickthrough to the map from the route entry.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,879

Yes, we've been working on those for over a year now and super excited to get them in the apps!  There's currently a bug where many trails are not showing in the app but hopefully that will get fixed soon.  So if you don't see ones near you... we're aware.

The red dots that mark routes are the beginning of a very long-term experiment.  So far, we don't have close to good-enough accuracy for most routes, and we can't do too much with the inaccurate data we do have.  They can be useful in very large areas with just a couple routes (alpine routes in particular), but not crags.

J W H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0
Nick Wilder wrote: Yes, we've been working on those for over a year now and super excited to get them in the apps!

Cool work Nick. Just noticed it this great addition. I see that route markers are difficult to implement but what about descent paths?

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,879

These trails can also be used to mark descents.  Knowing when to use which one is an exercise left to the climber :)

For example, I created this descent path: Descent of Lone Eagle Peak

J W H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0
Nick Wilder wrote: These trails can also be used to mark descents.  Knowing when to use which one is an exercise left to the climber :)

For example, I created this descent path: Descent of Lone Eagle Peak

Duh! Of course. I'm a little slow. Great addition. Thanks.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

iPhone & Android App Feedback
Post a Reply to "Approach trails!"