Mountain Project Logo

Boulder Canyon Closure?

Original Post
ebethreegs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

I have found information re: cycling in the canyon during this two year project, but does anyone know what they will do about the climbing while they are working?

https://www.codot.gov/projects/co-119-boulder-roadway-improvements

Edge · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,395

There is precious little information available, and what is out there so far has proven less than reliable. Major blasting is scheduled to start next week in the vicinity of the Dome, and I doubt that climbing access is high on their list of priorities. 

“Beginning on Tuesday, April 9, a temporary traffic signal will be installed to manage traffic between MP 39 – 40.  This traffic signal will be in place 7-days a week, 24-hours a day.  5-10 minute delays are expected through the canyon during commute hours.”

“Blasting operations will begin the week of April 15 near MP 40. The project team has identified preliminary rocks to be knocked down. The highway closure schedule will be shared next week. The 2-hour full closures of the highway for rock blasting will continue the following week, with the first detonations scheduled for the week of April 22.

~ Thank you,
State Highway 119 Reconstruction & Boulder Trail
Public Information Team“

Note: MP 40 is just east of the Dome, across from Elephant Buttress. 
John RB · · Superior, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 68

It would be really nice to know (at least a week in advance) when the 2-hour full-closures were going to happen.  That's a really long time to sit and wait if you're trying to commute.  I'm surprised it's ok to just close a major road with the "meh... not sure when but we'll let you know" plan.

John RB wrote: It would be really nice to know (at least a week in advance) when the 2-hour full-closures were going to happen.  That's a really long time to sit and wait if you're trying to commute.  I'm surprised it's ok to just close a major road with the "meh... not sure when but we'll let you know" plan.

I just got this in my email:

“SIGN UP FOR CO119 TEXT ALERTS

The 2-hour long full closures of CO119, Boulder Canyon Drive, have NOT started - when they do, you can  receive notices of the Boulder Canyon full closures via SMS text.

You can subscribe to the texting alert service by texting the word canyon to 313131 .

Frequently Asked Questions About the Texting Service

If I sign up for the texting alerts, will I still receive emails from the Public Information Team?
Yes, we will continue to send out emails in advance of the full and partial closures. If all you need are the full closure alerts, you can send us an email to be removed from the email list.

Will the texting service tell me about ALL of the closures in the canyon?
The text alerts will only let you know specifically about the 2-hour long, full closures of CO119.  

How will I know if I have successfully signed up?
When you text the word canyon to the number 313131, you will receive a confirmation text message letting you know that you are signed up.  
If you do not receive a text back from us within 5 minutes, please try checking your text message, and sending the message again.

What is the cost to sign up for the text alerts?
Signing up for the service is provided at no additional cost to you. Depending on your phone plan, you may incur message and data rate fees to receive the text alerts.  
To minimize the messaging fees we will keep the text messages short.

How often should I expect to receive text alerts?
We plan to send a text once a day, on the day before a closure is planned. Some text alerts may be sent on Sundays to let you know about rock blasting planned on Monday. We also plan to use this service to communicate unplanned emergency closures.

How long will I receive text alerts?
The rock blasting on CO119 is scheduled from mid-April through August of 2019.
We plan to keep the text alert service through August 2019.

If I sign up for text alerts, how do I turn them off?
Just send a text that says "STOP canyon" to 313131. You'll receive a one-time opt-out confirmation text.

Please don't text and drive.

Let us know if you have additional questions about the texting service.

~ Thank you,
Public Information Team
PI Phone: 720-465-6898
Web:codot.gov/projects/co-119-b…
Dara · · Peep's republic · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 20

The CDOT recording announces closures by mile marker. If you're heading up-canyon and wondering where the closure is in relation to the crag you want to climb--because you haven't memorized the mile markers--here's a quick reference: https://www.boulderclimbers.org/news-events

T G · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 51

What isn't clear is if "full closure" of the canyon means that all cars must vacate the canyon/road side during blasting times. Does anyone have any insight into this?

T G wrote: What isn't clear is if "full closure" of the canyon means that all cars must vacate the canyon/road side during blasting times. Does anyone have any insight into this?

That's a great question.  So you're essentially asking if it's permissible to (say) park at some crag before 9am and then leave your car there while you climb until (say) 3pm, then drive out?

I have a feeling I know what the answer would be if you called and asked a county official this question.  But in practice I doubt they would have you towed... but it's definitely a risk.  I plan to test this out tomorrow or Friday and I'm a bit nervous since I have a Tesla and they're hard to tow without damaging them.  Maybe I'll just get booted.
T G · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 51

Clearly there are times the canyon is closed for blasting, and there are sections of the road that are totally closed during those times (right now the bottom of the canyon). So, yes, I'm wondering if you're already in the canyon during one of the blasting closure times if they're requiring the entire road to be vacated, included cars that are already parked at the roadside. It's not even clear looking at their weekly work overview map.

Per the latest email update; notice that it says full Canyon closure, as well as Boulder Creek:

“NOTICE OF HIGHWAY CLOSURE
2-hour CO119 Closures Begin Tomorrow

Wednesday, April 17, through Friday, April 19, rock removal activities will result in a full closure of CO119 - Boulder Canyon Drive; for 2 hours at a time, between the hours of 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and again from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

During the 2-hour closure the Canyon will be closed from Nederland (near Hurricane Hill) to the Boulder City limits (CO119 and Arapahoe Drive). The rock removal work will occur between mile post 39-41. The closure areas will be monitored by Boulder County Sheriff and traffic control flaggers. Access to personal property within the canyon will be allowed to local residents between Nederland and Fourmile Canyon.  See the attached map for alternate routes.

Trail Closure
The Boulder Canyon Trail, from Boulder Canyon trail head to the Fourmile Canyon trail head, will be closed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Creek Closure
The Boulder Canyon Creek, that is adjacent to the highway, will be closed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.

~ Thank you,
Public Information Team
PI Phone: 720-465-6898
Web:codot.gov/projects/co-119-b…

Keep in mind that the closure effects emergency vehicles as well, and they will likely err on the side of caution, climbers be damned. 

Stephen Felker · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 495

It appears likely that this problem is set for destruction.

During the 2-hour closure the Canyon will be closed from Nederland (near Hurricane Hill) to the Boulder City limits (CO119 and Arapahoe Drive). The rock removal work will occur between mile post 39-41.
Well, this starting area from mm 39-41 is way down the canyon.  So, in spite of the fact that the entire road is closed from Ned down to Boulder, I can't imagine they'd get uptight about someone parked at (say) Animal World if they are blasting rock 7 miles down canyon?!

Chris Johnson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0
John RB wrote:

That's a great question.  So you're essentially asking if it's permissible to (say) park at some crag before 9am and then leave your car there while you climb until (say) 3pm, then drive out?

I have a feeling I know what the answer would be if you called and asked a county official this question.  But in practice I doubt they would have you towed... but it's definitely a risk.  I plan to test this out tomorrow or Friday and I'm a bit nervous since I have a Tesla and they're hard to tow without damaging them.  Maybe I'll just get booted.

John,

Any chance you got out yesterday? I'm getting up into the canyon this afternoon and in an ideal world, would get up to Tonnere Tower before 1, but that all depends on work today. If I manage to get out of the office at like 1:30, sitting around for an hour and a half doesn't sound super fun, but it doesn't sound like we could run up 4 mile onto Peak To Peak and come down the top of the canyon...
Shay Subramanian · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Would it be fine to hit Avalon tomorrow morning? Haven't been in the Canyon lately so not sure what's going on

Chris Johnson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0
Shay Subramanian wrote: Would it be fine to hit Avalon tomorrow morning? Haven't been in the Canyon lately so not sure what's going on

Ya, shouldn't have any problems, minus the one-lane section. Be prepared for a ton of people at Avalon though. A nice weekend day early in the season. Everyone and their mom is going to be out there.

Chris Johnson wrote:

John,

Any chance you got out yesterday? I'm getting up into the canyon this afternoon and in an ideal world, would get up to Tonnere Tower before 1, but that all depends on work today. If I manage to get out of the office at like 1:30, sitting around for an hour and a half doesn't sound super fun, but it doesn't sound like we could run up 4 mile onto Peak To Peak and come down the top of the canyon...

Sorry I ended up going to Clear Creek yesterday instead.  I didn't want to deal with the roadwork in BoCan.  I'm sure somebody went up that way though!?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Boulder Canyon Closure? "