Mountain Project Logo

Your Page Vertical Feet Climbed

Original Post
Matt Wenger · · Bozeman · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 3,136

Since every route has a spot to enter the height in feet, can MP create a metric under "Your Page" that tallies vertical feet annually and lifetime, such as it does pitches and types of routes climbed?

Andy Eiter · · Madison, WI · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 126

I think this has been brought up before, and one of the main issues mentioned was how unreliable/inconsistent route heights are; many routes don't have a height listed at all.

That being said, I still think it would be a neat metric, especially if you could break it down further by climb type ( e.g., differentiating between 1000' bouldering and leading would be useful).

Even if it is not complete due to some routes not having a height listed, it would still be neat.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 518

You can do it in excel when you export your ticks. Take a little extra legwork if you also want it to include multiple laps on a single pitch climbs.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Climb a few more years and you’ll discover that tracking vertical is irrelevant. 

Andy Eiter · · Madison, WI · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 126
Marc801 C wrote: Climb a few more years and you’ll discover that tracking vertical is irrelevant. 

I once tracked how many cups of tea I drank at work over a three month span. A lot of what I do is irrelevant.

Daniel Kaye · · Boston, ma · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 3,117

I also think this could be kinda cool.
But also I did a quick version by summing the lengths on the CVS export, which was simple, and I've apparently traveled just over  vertical(ish) 10 miles with my climbing! 

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 518
https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/116228898/year-end-tick-breakdown

If you can figure out the basics of Pivot tables you can use this Excel sheet to run a bunch of summations. Like feet climbed per grade, etc.

So I have never noticed the excel export feature. That solves it! Thanks everyone!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Your Page Vertical Feet Climbed"