Mountain Project Logo

Boy, the Gunks is Crowded!

Original Post
SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 251

Seems to be a big topic of conversation lately. Have you seen crowds in the Gunks? I thought it would be fun to post photos of the craziness. I'll start. This is a photo from last Saturday, by the Mac Wall. It was so busy I couldn't even get to the wall, much less climb on it. Post up your own photos of Gunks madness!

wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 93

Biggest crowd in history in the nears!  Tremendous! Terrific!  There were so many people in line at the mountain harbor deli that they ran out of covfefe!

DGoguen · · Conway NH · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Recently Visited.
Hadn't been there in years.
Crowded, yes, but I was more taken aback by the chaos and level of lawlessness.
This group was rounded up right in town for top roping the first pitch of "Snookys" on a weekend in broad daylight!

This one isn't my picture but it is from back in the day when you could park on 44/55. RGold always talks about this era as if things were better then, but it really doesn't look environmentally sustainable to me!

And OMG this guy. He was top-roping directly off of the rap rings on the anchor. You eagle-eyed Gunks locals can see he is on Jackie. I politely mentioned to him that this isn't the best practice and he told me I "might as well jump!"

Live Perched · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 11

Gunks on the weekend is “Just Like Paradise”

David Lee Roth climbing in Yosemite makes my morning. 
aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 294

Sounds like a cry for help.

But I don't feel bad for you at all. I woke up at 2am yesterday hoping for an alpine start on the classic Edge of Time in Estes Park, but by the time I got there, there was already a big line. Some asshat even put up a bunch of spotlights to "make it easier to climb in the dark". And the whole place smelled like grass.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Boy, the Gunks is Crowded!"