Mountain Project Logo

First dog to attempt Everest

Original Post
Scott Patterson · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 295

I just got an email from my friend Joe Thompson (from Eagle Colorado), who is at Camp II on the Nepali side of Everest. He is with an American expedition and has his dog Denali with them.

They arrived in Nepal on March 20 and are currently at Camp I and should be headed towards Camp II today. As far as is known, Denali is the first dog ever to attempt the Everest climb. Dogs have made it to Camp I before, but not beyond. They expect that the summit attempt will take place sometime mid to late May, but that depends on weather and conditions.

Here is a picture of me with Denali (the one on the right) during our climb in Colorado during a blizzard.

Gerrit Verbeek · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Joe seems like a friend of yours so sorry for raining on your parade, but this seems really irresponsible and attention-seeking from the dog's owner. Denali is not attempting the Everest climb; Joe Thompson is attempting to bring his pet up Everest.

Edit: Oh. Well done!

Rob Dillon · · Tamarisk Clearing · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 775

9/10

Happy April 

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
https://www.rei.com/blog/travel/rei-introduces-adventures-for-pets

Before you know it, REI is gonna be guiding dogs up everest. I just hope they remember to bag the poop, there's already way too much shit strung out all over Everest as is. 
chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6

summit sammies! cute dogs

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54

Shit, I have to carry pepper spray on Everest now too?

Ross Goldberg · · El Segundo · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 143

I mean its cute and all, but will the dog be able to handle the altitude? Do they have a proper fitting oxygen mask? Yea sammies can handle the cold but can they handle that thin air? Flame me all you want but I don't see why you would risk the dog's life all for a stunt...

EDIT: I see the date now, if its fake goddammit you got me

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "First dog to attempt Everest"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started