Mountain Project Logo

New BD HiLight Tents, Anyone checked them out in perons?

Original Post
beach · · Portland, ME · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 28
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/hilight-3p-tent-BD8101564029ALL1.html#q=hilight&start=7

Has anyone actually checked these out yet? I am very curious about the three person, but I live in new england and climb in the white mountains a lot so I have been hesitat to buy the old model with the bad reviews about the "breathable, waterproof" (leaky) fabric. Last year we were camping out at a cliff that we frequent and the wind damn near imploded my current tent which I would consider a pretty solid, but not a mountaineering tent.

If the fabric is better and more waterproof, this might just be the ticket... would love to hear from someone who has played with one
Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 917

The word waterproof is not mentioned at all in the link

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Jon Rhoderick wrote: The word waterproof is not mentioned at all in the link

It does mention taped seams though which would seem to imply some level of waterproofness.  There is no reason to tape seams on a non-waterproof fabric.

Gavin W · · Langley, BC · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181
Christopher Smith wrote:

It does mention taped seams though which would seem to imply some level of waterproofness.  There is no reason to tape seams on a non-waterproof fabric.

I don't believe it uses a waterproof fabric. Previous generation did not; it was a water-resistant fabric. Still leaked most commonly at the seams in snow and light rain (came with a bottle of seam-sealer). Most common complaint from users was leaky seams, so I'm guessing the taped seams are just to appease all the people who don't want to seal their own seams (or didn't understand that the seam sealer was for preemptive use, rather than repairs).

beach · · Portland, ME · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 28
Jon Rhoderick wrote: The word waterproof is not mentioned at all in the link

fair enough, its not mentioned. thanks for pointing that out.  I am still curious once they are available if they are more weatherproof than the old model which people seem to dislike for the most part.

Abandoned User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 6,830

Problem with this tent is a good chunk of people that buy it have no idea what they are doing or what the hell they are talking about.

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 11,014

Well at least they are taping the seams now. I have a first generation Firstlight that I've been using for many years, I always liked its lack of weight, but that pitching process gives me a headache at high altitude, and it's a bit short for a 6 footer. I only use it in the Sierra in summer when I'm not guaranteed a major rain event. This one seems to have a similar theory - (I'd get the 2 person version) with about the same weight. The major sell point for me would be the two doors, one on each side - I've been using an NF Mica FL2 and that 2-doors with 2 vestibules feature is a big favorite with me and my partner.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "New BD HiLight Tents, Anyone checked them out i…"