Mountain Project Logo

Red Rock Rendezvous 2019 cancelled?

Original Post
Dsrt Dweller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

I heard through the grapevine that it might b cancelled because of how much rain and snow this winter/spring has brought to our beautiful place. If this is true this is a great way to show the world we care about red rock more than money. 

Gerson R · · Las Vegas · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 1

it was already cancelled for this year
https://www.facebook.com/RedRockRendezvous

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Dsrt Dweller wrote: I heard through the grapevine that it might b cancelled because of how much rain and snow this winter/spring has brought to our beautiful place. If this is true this is a great way to show the world we care about red rock more than money. 

From the facebook page: 

"The Red Rock Rendezvous has always been a non-profit event. It has allowed us to share our love of climbing with you in a way that is both affordable and high quality. There were some changes late this season, however, that increased our costs sharply. We cannot absorb those costs without dramatically raising our entry fees."

Adventure Chumps · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 20

"We are going to take a 1 year break for the Red Rock Rendezvous in Spring 2019. That’s the bad news. The good news is we intend to bring the Rendezvous back in 2020 and have already held the dates for the last weekend of March 2020."

I think there was a typo and they got the good and bad news backwards.

Southern Nevada Climbers Coalition · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 7

We're holding a stewardship focused event at the end of the month, The Red Rock Rehab:
http://sncc.rocks/rehab19

One thing that was going to be missed without the Rendezvous this year was the two regularly scheduled service projects.  Our volunteer positions are full, but you still have the opportunity to attend the community events in the evenings.

other · · San Diego, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 15

What was the increase in expenses for the rendezvous?

Foster Boone · · Dedham, MA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 50
other wrote: What was the increase in expenses for the rendezvous?
Spring Moutain Ranch State Park raised the rates on them. At least that is what I was told. 
Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 9,999

I sincerely hope that the locally sponsored event - the Red Rock Rehab - is a huge success and takes the place, permanently, of the other "RRR" which has become a monstrosity. Here's to the Red Rock Rehab remaining true to it's vision and the Rendezvous never returning. Stick to what you're good at, Mountain Gear - online retail sales - and if you really want to cook some pancakes why not have an event focusing on local stewardship up in your lovely home state of Washington.

Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 55

I was bummed when I read about the cancellation because of the implicit hiatus in the annual RRR slag-fest here on MP. Stoked to see some of our brothers still came through in the clutch!

I get that people are pissed about a lot of routes tied up for a weekend. Although that leaves 1000 routes free. Is that the only reason for the hate? There’s still a ton of tourist traffic on the roads and people every spring without the rrrr. Would you all be happier if it switched to fall? Or what’s the beef?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
other wrote: I get that people are pissed about a lot of routes tied up for a weekend. Although that leaves 1000 routes free. Is that the only reason for the hate? There’s still a ton of tourist traffic on the roads and people every spring without the rrrr. Would you all be happier if it switched to fall? Or what’s the beef?

Routes "tied up for a weekend" is one thing; the RRR 'reserves' entire crags.

When you say entire crag do you mean a sub wall with 20 routes or a mountain / formation / cliff with 100 routes?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
other wrote: When you say entire crag do you mean a sub wall with 20 routes or a mountain / formation / cliff with 100 routes?

Eg: when RRR publishes a list of crags being used on a given day, like "There will be a leading clinic all day at the Panty Wall" and y'all bring up 25 people.

MN norske · · Austin, MN · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 150
other wrote: I get that people are pissed about a lot of routes tied up for a weekend. Although that leaves 1000 routes free. Is that the only reason for the hate? There’s still a ton of tourist traffic on the roads and people every spring without the rrrr. Would you all be happier if it switched to fall? Or what’s the beef?

The “beef” is not so much to tie up crags because you are correct, there are a ton of better routes than what this shit fest chooses. It is the fact that the monstrosity of this clown show has zero respect for local ethic. The last two years I have either walked though kraft boulders or first pullout for a hike because the day before it had pissed down rain so hard it could’ve tore a stripper off a fresh dollar bill. All while I was enjoying my hike I would see mobs of people climbing only to find out they were with RRR. These are just a few examples why locals or even fellow climbers dislike this event.

Dsrt Dweller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

U summed it up exactly. No respect for local ethics

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1
MN norske wrote:

The “beef” is not so much to tie up crags because you are correct, there are a ton of better routes than what this shit fest chooses. It is the fact that the monstrosity of this clown show has zero respect for local ethic. The last two years I have either walked though kraft boulders or first pullout for a hike because the day before it had pissed down rain so hard it could’ve tore a stripper off a fresh dollar bill. All while I was enjoying my hike I would see mobs of people climbing only to find out they were with RRR. These are just a few examples why locals or even fellow climbers dislike this event.

this is this new "normal"

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Red Rock Rendezvous 2019 cancelled?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started