Mountain Project Logo

Lone Peak - Cherry Canyon Logging Trail - Water Reliability

Original Post
Donovan · · West Jordan, UT · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 345

I've been up Lone Peak numerous times, but always the Jacob's Ladder route.  I'm contemplating taking some scouts up on a two night backpacking trip, but for this I'll need a reliable water source.  I've heard/read about a spring up the Cherry Canyon Logging Trail, somewhere near Outlaw cabin, but I haven't been able to confirm how reliable it is.  I'm expecting to go the beginning of August which would generally means the snow melt is gone from this area.  Can anyone comment on the water quality/quantity/availability if this spring?

Thanks

John Butler · · Tonopah, NV · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5
Thomas G. · · SLC, UT · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 195

Given this year's snowpack, I wouldn't be surprised if there was still a bit of snow up in the Cirque come August. That being said, there is water available at the lower pools on the Jacob's Ladder approach (before climbing the final moraine up into the Cirque), and there is also the spring that John linked to on Cherry Canyon. Either way, you should be fine in early August.

Have fun up there!

Donovan · · West Jordan, UT · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 345

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.  You make a good point Thomas.  Out of any year we are likely to have snow hang around a bit longer.  So, I'll bet you are right and we would find water up there.  That being said, since I've never been to the cabin or spring, I'd love to see them both.  So, I may take that route if for nothing else but the 'beta', if I can use that term in conjunction with hiking.  Thanks again guys, this makes me feel much better.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Lone Peak - Cherry Canyon Logging Trail - Water…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started