Mountain Project Logo

Pepper spray for dogs

Idaho Bob · · McCall, ID · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 757

Make a mixture of 25% ammonia, 75% water. Put it in a squirt gun, etc.  Spray the dog's nose.  Always worked for me on training runs.  

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121

What we have learned from this thread is that it is best to leave both guns and dogs at home when out at the crag.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
Sam Skovgaard wrote: All this talk of guns, are you people seriously packing heat while at the crag?  This seems bonkers to me, so many questions.  Is your gun racked on a gear loop next to your cams?  Is it tucked in your pants?  If so, how do you keep it from falling out during some awkward stem-to-belly-flop-mantle move?  Could it go off and blast your package during a desperate high step?

If I'm going back country climbing in lion country it may just be prudent to have something more than harsh language to deal with a large cat stalking you.  But for local crags, I leave the heat in the truck. No sense in getting into a philosophical shouting match with someone when there isn't any real danger to life and limb. (except for dogs and two legged critters)

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
eli poss wrote: This. A lot of people in this thread have been bitten, narrowly missed getting bit, or had to fight off a dog. What if any of this had happened to a child instead of an adult? <snip>
When thinking about potential outcomes of bringing your dog, please remember that they could, not only charge an adult capable of defending his/her self but could also possibly charge a child not capable of self-defense. 

https://www.ksl.com/article/46504254/investigation-continues-after-4-year-old-boy-loses-part-of-arm-in-dog-attack

Jake Jones wrote:

While horrible and tragic, I don't know that I'd blame the dog or owner in this case.

"The 4-year-old reached under his neighbor’s fence with a sock on his hand when police say a husky bit him Sunday afternoon."

Hole, sock was probably soaked in bacon grease....all they left out is that the neighbors had been conditioning the dog to attack socks coming through holes....this isn't the dogs fault, but the dog will pay the price.

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35
Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392
"three of five dogs in the home attacked the boy while the two others remained in a cage."

That Philly story is irrelevant.  The dogs and the toddler were in their own home.    
Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342

A stick used on a pit bull is useless, same with pepper spray.  I beat the $hit out of a pit bull with a 3 foot crowbar with zero effect.  It took several rounds from LAPD to finally stop the dog from attacking the kid.   

Jordan Whitley · · NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 240

What happens when you guys go climbing in bear country?

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54
Tim Lutz wrote: MP tough-on-dogs guys be like

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

</sarcasm> if it wasn't obvious enough.
Idaho Bob · · McCall, ID · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 757

I climb in bear country in Idaho and British Columbia.  Make a lot of noise on the approach, if camping hang food high and you won't have a problem. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Jordan W wrote: What happens when you guys go climbing in bear country?

In BC some guys had a device made to scare bears; basically a hand held launcher that lofts a small but loud charge about 15' in the air.

Jordan Whitley · · NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 240
Marc801 C wrote:

In BC some guys had a device made to scare bears; basically a hand held launcher that lofts a small but loud charge about 15' in the air.

Maybe someone on here can come up with an ultrasonic device to scare away the local-crag Goldendoodle, since this is the #1 issue modern climbers face in 2019. 

Eric wrote:

Actually Buck, large cats aren't aggressive, it must be the victim's negative energy that causes big-cat attacks.

I would head Russ Keane's advice above, when stalked by a large cat, be calm, and stick your hand out to pet it.  Even better, pet it's teeth.

Yes, that's the ticket...I myself would LOVE to see a mature lion in the wild...alive.  Have no desire to kill one. But my wife  is small, and moves in a way that exudes "prey animal". 

I also hike with dogs in Wolf country, and always have a way to defend myself and dogs for the territorial instincts of pack of wolves.  Have only seen an immature wolf once, but it was chasing my dog, and was going to run RIGHT BY ME, like I wasn't there. I bonked him on the nose as he was running by with the barrel of my 20 ga. Beretta White Onyx and he ran off. I don't think he even saw me.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
abandon moderation wrote:

I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. 

Gorillas are endangered species. Please don't engage in warfare with these wonderful animals. Oh, wait, did you mean "guerilla warfare"?

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20
Marc801 C wrote:

Those things are called "Bear Bangers".

Tomily ma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 525

I’m imagining r Kelly singing:
“Oh girl, you move in a way that exudes prey animal”

I’m glad this thread didn’t disappoint!!! In all honesty I think I’m catching a glimpse into the seedy underbelly of the Internet that leads to the old ultraviolence. Like someone is gonna read this and then go to their local humane society with their tactical gear and become the next dark chapter in the gun debate. And the MP forum will be cited by the left as encouraging hate speech and violence against dogs by breeding the lone wolf amongst us.

Let’s face it though, we’re all here because we’re not all there. 

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35
Russ Keane wrote: "three of five dogs in the home attacked the boy while the two others remained in a cage."

That Philly story is irrelevant.  The dogs and the toddler were in their own home.    

It’s completely relevant to the point that dogs can be vicious and attack causing severe injuries and death. There’s also the story relatively recently of the woman who was killed by her dogs while on a walk/run. I doubt she was giving off fear vibes from her own dogs. An unleashed large dog is a threat until determined otherwise. 
Eric wrote: Wolves are terrifying IRL

One wolf is neat, two wolves are scary, a whole pack together is terrifying, they are truly the master when together. They are smart and can work cooperatively, unlike the people in the US. 

I heard a pack of wolves working a moose on the gunflint trail when I was doing a yurt to yurt XC ski trip in Feb. 2010. They crossed the trail about a 1/4 mile ahead of us. Blood and hair everywhere, the entire ski track was erased from the struggle. I have no doubt the wolves were victories, based on the volume of blood we could see. The track of one of the wolves was bigger than my hand, I have a pic on my phone somewhere. The drama must have been incredible. 
Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215

What if the dog is one of them “service dogs”, is it kosher to pepper spray it? I work in housing industry and proliferation of “service dogs” in past few years is mind boggling.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3013843002

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started