Mountain Project Logo

New and Experienced Climbers Over 50 #6

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Lori? If I was going on about "why would someone that good ever be willing to climb with me", what would you say to me, eh? You wouldn't let me get away with that.

Because he wants to. Period.

Enjoy, ma'am. Your little heartthrob is part of your family now!

Best, Helen

Lori Milas · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 240
Old lady H wrote: Lori? If I was going on about "why would someone that good ever be willing to climb with me", what would you say to me, eh? You wouldn't let me get away with that.

Because he wants to. Period.

Enjoy, ma'am. Your little heartthrob is part of your family now!

Best, Helen

I'm going to beat 'someone' to the punch and say it's MONEY.  It's a job, and they need money to go have fun.  And that's ok with me, because I don't do my job for free, either... and there's some people I wouldn't work for, no matter how much money.  So, it's money, and being out with nice people.  It probably doesn't hurt that I'm a fan... and admire his work.  

I COULD ask him to put me up on Cutting Edge.    Bring a ladder, a good strong top rope, and haul me up halfway... and let me flounder the rest of the way but there'd be a photo op in there somewhere, and I could claim a "5th Ascent"!!!.  Airbrush out the top rope... and BOOM! Cover of AARP BABY!!!    

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674
Kevin and I out on the fringes of the outdoors 
Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Who knows, Lori. Maybe there's something Jeremy wants to learn from you? Or maybe he's just happy to have a day of work.

The real question is the one Erika raised. What do you want from the day?

Rokjox Teleski · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15

I lean towards the people laughing at my suggestion of a snakebite kit.  I never carried one and still dont.  Just said they were available ... and I specifically said you  MUST use it in under two minutes or forget it.  The "Mock V" test injected the fluid in at least a centimeter with a hypo, then waited THREE minutes to even begin the pump... and I wonder how agressively they used teh pump?   (The ones with rubber suck caps are useless completely...)   A snake might not get that deep and consistant a bite in real life.

But my father used one in the late 60s, then drove himself 60 miles to the closest Doc over dirt roads.  Times used to be different.

Nowadays you can buy antivenom direct.  Carry a shot in your chalkbag.   Thats a real suggestion.  If you are really worried. Or sensitive...

Around 1300$ for one Vial you need 20 to 30 vials 20 to 30K So ROkjox is just blowing wind up our ---. Meanwhile we’re slamming in new routes.

Wow. Surprisingly difficult day of climbing. The first 5.4 route was very hard. Finally found my sea legs and muscled up some cracks but by no means easy. Then a confounding chimney which felt like it’s intent was to exhaust all the OTHER muscles that weren’t already overtaxed. Glad I wore a long-sleeved shirt because my back and knees got pretty scraped up.

But I’m always looking at slab. We set up three long slab routes in increasing grades... finally it just feels like you’re walking up the impossible... featureless almost vertical rock with microscopic toe holds. Not a slip, just intense concentration... as close as I ever get to a “zone”.  

And then I drove out to receive a text that Notre Dame was burning. Tears before I could stop them. Somehow it seemed to fit the day, and fit the time of darkness within my church.

I can’t take climbing selfies... but these are the images that will remain with me today.

I forgot to mention that I downclimbed some of the routes I climbed... just to make sure I’d be miserable tonight.

Carl Schneider · · Mount Torrens, South Australia · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

STILL can't get my little V6 project! Every time I think I can't get and closer I DO get closer but no send. Literally falling off the last hold of a 25 move Traverse and then up.
Oh well, after a rest day and with better conditions maybe? 

Carl Schneider · · Mount Torrens, South Australia · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Doin' da chillinz' in mah tree....
Note the built in can holder in mah shirt!

Carl Schneider wrote: Doin' da chillinz' in mah tree....
Note the built in can holder in mah shirt!

I met a dude yesterday out climbing with a strong Aussie accent but insisted he was from Boston. He probably is from Boston but that wasn’t a Boston accent.  I mentioned Adelaide and he perked right up... 

He and his girlfriend had a large dog with them... not allowed in the Park at climbing areas. Maybe they allow dogs in Boston.   
Have a nice day!
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Jeffrey Constine wrote:
Have a nice day!

That looks so fun! Does it top out on that really blank bit? The lower part looks sorta doable, to me....maybe. But the approach.... :-(

It looks like my end date for employment is about to get set. I'm working towards meeting some of you, and really looking forward to it!

Best, Helen

Yes it tops out on the slab Uncle Remus 11b Joshua Tree Np 

Dallas R · · Traveling the USA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 191

3 days in Alabama Hills.  I was thinking it may be rinky dink since it doesn't have much mult-pitch, wrong.  Great Place to camp and climb. Perfect weather.

Barbara thought the approaches were great, talk about your bumper belay.

Most of the boondocking sights on the other side of the canyon had someone in them so we ended up "camping" at Pauls Backyard.  I made sure to leave enough room for other climbers to park, and they did. Never got crowded.

We sampled some the local beverages.

Barb has some PTSD from her fall at Ft. Davis,  she would get to a thin place and freak out a little.  Fortunately we were sport climbing so I could lower her and then either retrieve gear with the clip stick or cheat to the finish.  Then she turned around an nailed a 10a on top rope.  It will take many climbs before her confidence comes back to where it was.

In the mean she had told me that I can now graduate to leading 5.4 sport climbs.  Trad too if she gets a chair to rest in while belaying me, I just take forever to get gear placed.  

We've had some setbacks so will be changing our plans for the summer.  May is still Cove Palisades/Smith Rock, after that is up on the air.  

I could definitely go back to Alabama Hills.  I think new shoes will be in our near future, the crystal granite chewed through what little was left of the soles of our shoes, both hers and mine.

Lori, Jeremy's motives, sometimes simple is the truth, good company and climbing, nothing more.
rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

Not coming to the Gunks any more?  Was looking forward to meeting you!

rgold wrote: Not coming to the Gunks any more?  Was looking forward to meeting you!

Shouldn’t it be more like looking forward to climbing with you

SO GLAD everyone is out and about. This trip to Josh has so far been difficult and hard.  Perhaps I’m having a reality check that there are things off limits, and routes I can’t touch—and it has to be ok.
I’ve spent half my time sidelined with blood sugar highs and lows. Could not climb this morning at all because of wipeout from yesterday... so lost Double Cross AGAIN.  Sunburn, gear, weird exhaustion just seem to be the theme right now.
Perhaps I need an attitude adjustment.   
Learning how to stem on a dihedral today... felt really unsteady but stuck to it!  Face climbing a bit easier and learning shoulder rolls for pulling.  
But look at this magnificent creature below that I can only admire but not climb. I believe it is a 12c and 10a crack system... Leave It To Beaver and Lobster?  Not sure, will have to look it up later.  

dragons · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 847
We've had some setbacks so will be changing our plans for the summer.  May is still Cove Palisades/Smith Rock, after that is up on the air.
Dallas, I'm sure we'd enjoy climbing with you and Barbara if you ever make it up to NH!

Helen, the same applies to you!

I’ve had a real change of heart about the value of gym climbing. For me it’s necessary, the positives outweigh the negatives... and now that outdoor and indoor climbs are getting harder they both seem to add strength and skill. They complement. Aside from Jeff does anyone disagree?

We don’t have dihedrals or cracks in our gym so that’s a bummer.

One more time today I was advised to lead climb in the gym. So ok... I understand and will make that happen. The point is to learn good outdoor belay skills, as well obviously to sport climb.  I’ve been following a lot lately...

During downtime we’ve been rope coiling, anchor setting, discussing being a good partner, packing a better pack. I’m trying to learn to be fully prepared and ON TIME. The crags are the only place I’m scattered.

Tomorrow some mock leading in a beautiful area. I hope SOME of this works well in other places.

Saw two chuckwallas today so what more could I ask?

In reality it’s all about what you enjoy Lori.  If it works for you more power to ya!  It doesn’t matter what I think I am unusual,

just go out have fun and enjoy,  life goes by pretty quick,  before you know it it’s over. Have a blast while you can.  Hit me up on the way back maybe we can get a day in somewhere climbing! 

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started