Mountain Project Logo

Removing nail polish from cams


Original Post
David Pagel · · Milwaukee · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 175

I have a few different items that I have purchased used on MP that have others markings on it. Does anyone know if I can safely use nail polish remover on them? I use tape to mark my own gear but also dont want to ruin the integrity of the piece just to removed the previous owners markings.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 518

sure

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Isn't the nail polish on the metal only?

David Pagel · · Milwaukee · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 175
FrankPS wrote: Isn't the nail polish on the metal only?

In this case, it would be just on the trigger part of the cam. At least in the cams I just received 

E-Rock Sendstrong · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

why dont you just leave it and add tape if youre worried at all about it

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
David Pagel wrote:

In this case, it would be just on the trigger part of the cam. At least in the cams I just received 

I have no idea how it would affect plastic. I wouldn't hesitate to use nail polish remover on the metal parts.

zoso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 495

Acetone (nail polish remover) eats plastic so yes, use it.  Or lemon juice and salt. 

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

Uz da nail polish remover.

Sam Skovgaard · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 70

I would just use a little sharp metal instrument to scrape or chip it off

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 1,814
Sam Skovgaard · 38 mins ago · ?
I would just use a little sharp metal instrument to scrape or chip it off



Always try mechanical means before you resort to chemical substances.

Try physically 'flaking' the polish off.

Start with A sharp point to pick at the edges, looking to 'flake' off the polish.
 then try a dry stiff brushing with a wire brush, or rubbing with a steel wool pad.

 Then try again using hot water & the sharp edge or point of something like a dental pick.

 If none of that works consider covering it with more polish use a different color like  black
Sam Deshler · · Southern California · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 12

If the nail polish is on metal, use acetone and a rag.  If its on plastic, you'll want to use something less aggressive like rubbing alcohol or even flux remover.

Jay J · · Euelss · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 5

Some pics might help.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 877
FrankPS wrote:

I have no idea how it would affect plastic. I wouldn't hesitate to use nail polish remover on the metal parts.

Nail polish remover comes in a plastic bottle. Just throwing that out there. 

Paul Hutton · · Kansas City, MO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740

Use nail polish remover, then rinse with water to get the extra off that remains after the paint is all gone. Trigger bars aren't structural. But being concerned about that trigger bar snapping (I guess) doesn't really warrant much more than rinsing a little acetone off when the paint is gone.

Or scrape it off with some kind of edge. That's what I would try. Clean and simple. And won't get close to risking a compromised trigger bar. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Greg D wrote:

Nail polish remover comes in a plastic bottle. Just throwing that out there. 

Yes, but which type of plastic is it? One should know, before making such blanket statements. :)  (I just got these from Google and have no idea what the differences are)

  • Polyethylene Terephthalate (PETE or PET)
  • High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
  • Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
  • Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
  • Polypropylene (PP)
  • Polystyrene or Styrofoam (PS)
Andrew Rational · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 10

Seriously? Just scrape it off with a knife.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 877
FrankPS wrote:

Yes, but which type of plastic is it? One should know, before making such blanket statements. :)  (I just got these from Google and have no idea what the differences are)

  • Polyethylene Terephthalate (PETE or PET)
  • High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
  • Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
  • Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
  • Polypropylene (PP)
  • Polystyrene or Styrofoam (PS)

So you used google to find out that there is more than one type of plastic but have no way to apply it to this conversation. You could have just looked in your recycle bin. 

Mike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 10

Don't soak it but you can use nail polish remover aka acetone on a trigger. Lightly soak a cotton ball and wipe it down.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5
Greg D wrote:

Nail polish remover comes in a plastic bottle. Just throwing that out there. 

Not all plastics are the same - haven't we learned anything from Breaking Bad?

I don't know what kind of plastic the trigger is or how acetone will affect it, but if you ignore the nail polish and just start climbing it'll be gone in a season. 

Edit to add: There are non-acetone nail polish removers. I also have no idea what they might do to plastic, but they're terrible at removing nail polish so probably quite safe. 
SeƱor Arroz · · LA, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

Steel wool.

Try it on your nails first if you doubt me.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 877
Em Cos wrote:

Not all plastics are the same - haven't we learned anything from Breaking Bad?

I don't know what kind of plastic the trigger is or how acetone will affect it, but if you ignore the nail polish and just start climbing it'll be gone in a season. 

Edit to add: There are non-acetone nail polish removers. I also have no idea what they might do to plastic, but they're terrible at removing nail polish so probably quite safe. 

Never watched the show nor do I don't get my education from a fictional tv series. 

But, we do know that plastics do behave differently to chemicals.  Acetone is benign to polypropylene and other plastics.  But, regardless of the type of plastic on the cam and the small amount used to clean off some nail polish will do next to no harm to a NON life saving component.  The potency of the acetone dissipates very quickly because of its volatility and will become benign in seconds.  


Its funny that this is even a thread.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Removing nail polish from cams"

Log In to Reply