Mountain Project Logo

Who buys this crap?

Original Post
Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 150

Apparently this is some of the hawt “climbing gear” for 2019. Who buys this?!

5.Seven Kevin · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Are you angry or subliminally marketing advertisements to us?

Davis Badger · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 274

If I ever see anyone with a $25 bag of chalk I'm gonna string them up by the shoelaces on their TC Pro "gym shoes" 

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

Do you suffer from red point anxiety ?

Dylan B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 521

Americans will buy anything.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 210

People who wear these.
Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,040

Of all the things to get angry about... 

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,729

Either we're all geniuses for not buying flimsy and gaudy crap, or we're all idiots for not starting companies that make this stuff and exploiting the trendy consumerist culture in which we all find ourselves immersed and outraged at.

Nathan G · · Utah · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 10
djh860 wrote: Do you suffer from red point anxiety ?

If your red point lasts longer than 4 hours...

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 172

Instagram climbers and other social media climbers buy that sheit. Surely not the real climbers on mountain project.

Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Ha, that issue came in the mail  yesterday for me as well.  Haven't had a chance to check it out yet though. 

Adam Ronchetti · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2011 · Points: 25
Jake Jones wrote: Either we're all geniuses for not buying flimsy and gaudy crap, or we're all idiots for not starting companies that make this stuff and exploiting the trendy consumerist culture in which we all find ourselves immersed and outraged at.

I’d say both. I’m not saying I’m a saint when it comes to having too much climbing gear, but at least it’s actual gear and not some gimmicks to make me trendy. 

Yep, this sums it up. There was a treat a while back for a kickstarter for these magical sleeves, if someone could find it, it was hilarious. I thought that climbers were resilient bunch, self reliant and above the daily trappings of life, but more and more it seems like that we’re just ordinary people with a hobby.
sandrock · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 115

The Friction Labs chalk is so ridiculous....or maybe I'm just bitter I didn't create a company that sells plain chalk for 2x the cost.

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,196

If you’re looking for subtle reminders from your quickdraws, I think I know why you suck at redpointing.

Julian H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5
sandrock wrote: The Fricton Labs chalk is so rediculous....or maybe I'm jjust bitter I didn't create a company that sells pain chalk for 2x the cost.

So create a company that sells chalk for 1.5x the cost. You will roll in $$$$$

My hands sweat a lot until I get a good amount of magnesium to stop the sweat. I got some friction labs chalk from my partner and it did the trick faster but not as fast as washing my hands before climbing. It is probably the oils from the skin that acts as a barrier for the magnesium to get to the skin faster. 

Sloppy Second · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Who buys the magazine with the posted article?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Davis Badger wrote: If I ever see anyone with a $25 bag of chalk I'm gonna string them up by the shoelaces on their TC Pro "gym shoes" 

That's $25 for 10 ounces, which is cheaper per ounce than most of the other premium chalks. Sure, no price comparison to lowly block gymnast chalk.

Julian H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

The chair would make a good belay seat, but I like the one this guy uses better. The way he puts the stairs is interesting too. Different video

CO Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
Fehim Hasecic wrote: I thought that climbers were resilient bunch, self reliant and above the daily trappings of life, but more and more it seems like that we’re just ordinary people with a hobby.

Climbers aren’t different than any other self absorbed yahoo groups out there needing validation from their peers or the public. 
Except alpine climbers that is. They’re the real deal.  
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Who buys this crap?"