Mountain Project Logo

Somebody Stole My Cam! Can't Believe it.


Original Post
Chad McChadface · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

My worst nightmare has occurred. The cams I just bought were stolen out of back of my car the other night. After 3 whole days of use (and one day even on lead!) my shiny .5 - 3 BD Ultralights are gone. Will buy whoever took them a beer in return. What ever happened to ethics in climbing!? 

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,186

You should just buy yourself a beer, cry a little, and save up for some new cams, those babies are long gone.

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 181

is, "Back of My Car" a name of a route? I heard that if you left cams on a route overnight and someone took them, it's actually called, "bootying" and is OK to do.

mbk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

I’ll defer to our illustrious old-timers, but I suspect that the tradition of getting some booty in the back of a car predates climbing as we know it.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,460

You are SOL.

Jordan Pitts · · kansas (the abyss) · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 195
Chad McChadface wrote: My worst nightmare has occurred. The cams I just bought were stolen out of back of my car the other night. After 3 whole days of use (and one day even on lead!) my shiny .5 - 3 BD Ultralights are gone. Will buy whoever took them a beer in return. What ever happened to ethics in climbing!? 

So, you believe, the theif is here on mp? And if so, you think, that buying them a beer is going to get them to confess? They just jacked 500$ from you and are most likely hella lit on meth at this very moment.

Sorry for your loss, hopefully this will be a lesson in locking car doors and hiding expensive shit kinda deal.

Care to let us know what area it was in? 
scott fuzz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 125

what kind of beer... askin for a friend-

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

The cams were abandoned in your car overnight, so they were not "stolen." People were just helping clean up the litter. Sometimes, a window must be broken to get to the litter.

I learned this on MP. 

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Locking cams in cars during periods of hot and cold temps has been the cause of over 300 cam fatalies a year since the early 90s. It has to stop. Bring awareness to suffering cams, call an adult, and break a window if you feel they are in impending danger.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Briggs Lazalde wrote: Locking cams in cars during periods of hot and cold temps has been the cause of over 300 cam fatalies a year since the early 90s. It has to stop. Bring awareness to suffering cams, call an adult, and break a window if you feel they are in impending danger.

What if I leave a window partly open and a bowl of water for the cams? Is that better?

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
FrankPS wrote:

What if I leave a window partly open and a bowl of water for the cams? Is that better?

It will definitely draw attention and be cause for concern. Some would deem it inhumane. They do better with a bowl of cam lube vs water. One parent left water and let their cams rust back in 2013. Got 15 years for it.

Thumper ... · · Lawton, Ok · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 135
mbk wrote: I’ll defer to our illustrious old-timers, but I suspect that the tradition of getting some booty in the back of a car predates climbing as we know it.

+1 for getting booty in the back of a car

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Briggs Lazalde wrote:

It will definitely draw attention and be cause for concern. Some would deem it inhumane. They do better with a bowl of cam lube vs water. One parent left water and let their cams rust back in 2013. Got 15 years for it.

Thanks, Briggs. You bring up some important points. I don't want my cams taken from me by CPS (Cam Protective Services).  Sometimes, I go in the bar for "just one drink," with my cams locked in the car. I thoughtlessly and neglectfully end up leaving them there for hours. Then when I come back, the cams have sun-induced microfractures. I want to be a better cam-parent.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 883
Thumper ... wrote:

+1 for getting booty in the back of a car

I missed most of Dr. Zhivago from the backseat of an Impala at the drive-in, back in the predawn of history.

I hear it's a good movie.

Best, OLH
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Jordan Pitts wrote:

So, you believe, the theif is here on mp? And if so, you think, that buying them a beer is going to get them to confess? They just jacked 500$ from you and are most likely hella lit on meth at this very moment.

Sorry for your loss, hopefully this will be a lesson in locking car doors and hiding expensive shit kinda deal.

Care to let us know what area it was in? 

The OP is satire / troll-bait. 

Adrienne DiRosario · · Troy, NY · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
Briggs Lazalde wrote:

It will definitely draw attention and be cause for concern. Some would deem it inhumane. They do better with a bowl of cam lube vs water. One parent left water and let their cams rust back in 2013. Got 15 years for it.

Don’t be like the cam parent who tried to free his children of rust using lemon juice. That’s a death penalty crime. 

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 883
Marc801 C wrote:

The OP is satire / troll. 

Sir, this is hardly entertaining. I am considering flagging you for your pitiful effort at contributing. Step it up! I know you can do better than this!!

Best, H.
eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 507
Adrienne DiRosario wrote:

Don’t be like the cam parent who tried to free his children of rust using lemon juice. That’s a death penalty crime. 

Is lime juice okay? Asking for a friend...

Also, where is the best place to leave an abandoned cam? I have this cam but it really deserves a better home than I can provide. If I leave it in a basket at Red Rocks will somebody take care of it and love it?
Big B · · Sin City, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

if the car was unlocked/windows down "booty"...if locked/windows up "theft" 

Travis Bieber · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 64

Gear is booty once the gear has been fully abandoned. 

Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 229
Jordan Pitts wrote:

So, you believe, the theif is here on mp? And if so, you think, that buying them a beer is going to get them to confess? They just jacked 500$ from you and are most likely hella lit on meth at this very moment.

Sorry for your loss, hopefully this will be a lesson in locking car doors and hiding expensive shit kinda deal.

Care to let us know what area it was in? 

Did you seriously believe the OP?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Somebody Stole My Cam! Can't Believe it."

Log In to Reply