Mountain Project Logo

Canadian rockies objectives for a beginner?

Original Post
Mike C · · Calgary · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Just got my first pair of boots, crampons and axe. What are some nice and easy objectives around Calgary that you would recommend?

Dara · · Peep's republic · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 20

Head west to Canmore. If you’re leading, or have a leader, Rogan’s Gully is a mellow multipitch with an easy approach right outside of town. Then get into the Kananaskis and find Chantilly. You might want to wait till the avy danger settles a bit AND you should have beacon, probe and shovel in any event. No leader? Hire a guide, PM me for recs.

FosterK · · Edmonton, AB · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 44

What do you want to climb? Dara seems under the impression that you want to be an ice climber...

I would recommend you join the local Alpine Club of Canada Sections (Calgary, and Rocky Mountains); they will have courses and trips available for you with experienced leaders. Failing that, go hire a guide for some introductory scrambling and glacier travel courses.

Dara · · Peep's republic · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 20
FosterK · What do you want to climb? Dara seems under the impression that you want to be an ice climber...

Ah, yes, my bias is showing. Perhaps I shouldn't have presumed. After all, the OP mentioned a singular axe, rather than plural tools.

Foster's good advice applies in any event!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Canadian rockies objectives for a beginner?"