Mountain Project Logo

Somebody stole my cam at Mescalito

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Buck Rio wrote: Wait,  "My husband is mad .." implies it is mine.  

No, it doesn't, all it implies is that you were mad.  You could have been mad that she didn't get a piece of booty that you wanted, you could have been mad that there was trash left in the crack and you wanted to clean it up, or you could have been mad about something completely unrelated to the nut at all.  If the party that got the nut had the preconceived assumption that the nut was fixed when you got there, it could be really easy for them to assume that you were mad for one of the first two reasons I just mentioned and never even think about the fact that you could have been the one to have placed the nut.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

help me jeebus STAHP.

You are mis-communicating about mis-comunicating lol.

signed--wannabe sobermaster

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Jaren Watson wrote: I’m tired of being a wannabe Stone Master. I want to be a Stoned Master.

fixed that for you

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
BillS wrote: I have to side more with the OP than most in this thread.  

If you can see a possible or likely owner of the gear, then it's not [yet] abandon.  You're obligated to check with them and offer the gear back  - otherwise you're just a thief.

The OP said he came back TWO DAYS LATER and his precious thingy was gone. How does he know who took it? I know he ASSUMES it was the party with the speaker on Dark Shadows. But does he know that's true? 48 hours have passed since it got stuck. He has no idea who has or hasn't climbed that route since. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Señor Arroz wrote:

The OP said he came back TWO DAYS LATER and his precious thingy was gone. How does he know who took it? I know he ASSUMES it was the party with the speaker on Dark Shadows. But does he know that's true? 48 hours have passed since it got stuck. He has no idea who has or hasn't climbed that route since. 

Yeah, I think that taking the cam, with a pack at the base of the route, is wrong. "Look, there's a cam with no rope on it! I'm going to snag it."

Once the OP walked away from the route, due to rain or darkness or whatever, he was giving it away. Unwillingly, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I think this horse has been beaten to death, but it deserves a few more kicks. But I'm against kicking real horses. Or being kicked by them.
Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

"Mighty Magic 8-Ball of the Internet will I get my cam back?"

MM8B: "Better Luck next time."

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
FrankPS wrote:
I think this horse has been beaten to death, but it deserves a few more kicks. But I'm against kicking real horses. Or being kicked by them.

Come to think of it, Frank, you may have identified the real culprit.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

^^^^
They know how to booty cams? Or just kick?

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

The best booty is from out of towners who are too cool to communicate, it's like a gift from the climbing gods.

other · · San Diego, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 15
Eric wrote: This must be what it's like to be unemployed.

I resemble that commment 

Dj3 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0
Josh Janes wrote: “Hey gumby”,

I would count my blessings your rope wasn’t removed as well.

Also: The word “stole” in the post title is incorrect.

This has nothing to do with the “integrity of the climbing community” - it is a long standing tradition in climbing that gear left behind in situations like these is no longer yours. You should re-evaluate your sense of entitlement - not the nature of climbers - and rejoice in being able to participate directly in the Booty Circle of Life.

Stuck gear can happen - it doesn’t make you a baby. Sadly I can’t say the same about your long-winded complaint about losing a 15-year old cam.

Apparently you did not read the whole whine.  It’s an 18 year old cam.  That makes it sentimental.

other · · San Diego, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 15
Marc801 C wrote: That's the key problem in the presentation - it was never established that they knew it was Buck's piece as there was no communication between the parties until 50% of each party was at the belay, and then the communication that did exist was minimal and inadequate. As someone else pointed out, there was no reasonable expectation on Buck's part that the second party was paying any attention to what his partner was doing with respect to the pro. For all they knew, they were able to retrieve a nut that had been there for months or years.

Is Marc a lawyer? Can we steal his cam?

I blame Individual 1.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
other wrote:

Is Marc a lawyer? Can we steal his cam?

Marc only knows how to boulder

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Somebody stole my cam at Mescalito"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started