COVID-19 Update: At REI, we encourage you to get outside responsibly. Stay local, avoid recreational travel,
practice social distancing and check ahead for area and facility closures. Learn More
Mountain Project Logo

DMM Revolver carabiners don’t work very well as pulleys

Ben Ha · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Petzl RollClip carabiner :)

Per their spec

• Efficiency: 85 %
Ma Ja · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 109

The revolver is great in a 3:1 ascender/GriGri setup. It's quick to get the rope in and out for changing from up to down, and back. Definitely wouldnt be hauling on it though.

Olav Grøttveit · · Bergen, Hordaland · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 5
Jared Chrysostom · · Charleston, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5
Olav Grøttveit wrote: This one might beat the revolver:
https://grivel.com/collections/biners-draws-and-slings/products/roller-l 

I swear, Grivel manufactures products to satisfy my inner 8-year-old, who wonders why you can’t have a carabiner with a solid gate and a wire gate and a goddamn pulley all at the same time. 

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,703
Jared Chrysostom wrote:

I swear, Grivel manufactures products to satisfy my inner 8-year-old, who wonders why you can’t have a carabiner with a solid gate and a wire gate and a goddamn pulley all at the same time. 

Their twin gate carabiners are honestly pretty slick. Once you master the technique, they're quicker to operate than most lockers, and incredibly secure. It's impossible to forget to lock them, and they don't come unlocked. Super easy to check; if the gates are closed, they're secure.

Any carabiner with a pulley just strikes me as a gimmick, though, so I agree 100% on that.
Tammy Gueterman · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0
Jared Chrysostom wrote:

I swear, Grivel manufactures products to satisfy my inner 8-year-old, who wonders why you can’t have a carabiner with a solid gate and a wire gate and a goddamn pulley all at the same time. 

I've window shopped Grivel stuff hundreds of times and never bought anything.

As far as carabineer with built in pulleys go, you minimize length and floppiness of hauling rigs, and you know your going to have to use a carabineer in the pulley anyway.
Billcoe · · Portland · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 881

The Grivel Plumes are the lightest locker out there Tammy: 39 grams -good stuff. John, thanks for the report and the tests. 

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,703
Billcoe wrote: The Grivel Plumes are the lightest locker out there Tammy: 39 grams -good stuff. John, thanks for the report and the tests. 

Yep, just don't expect to be able to clip them through the links on chains; that nose is bulky with a wiregate on it.

Tammy Gueterman · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

I read that the Plume doesn't fit through the Grigri hole. Clepsydra S does, and it seems to be the entire reason it exists, but I don't want to be shamed for my belay-carabiner. I already have a PAS on my harness all the time.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "DMM Revolver carabiners don’t work very well as…"