Mountain Project Logo

Trump is at it again!


Brandon Fields · · Boulder · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 445

Uhhhhhhhhhh.. *cough*bearsears*cough*

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 210
John Barritt wrote:

He's said he's going to sign the first piece of legislation in US history to protect climbing and fixed pro......

Let that sink in a minute....

Here, I think this may help:


Attentive Follower · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
PosiDave wrote:

Trump could save climbing and people would still bitch. 

Not everything the guy does is bad and people need to start seeing that on both sides of the polticalSpectrum. 

We should have the same standard for partners that we do for president.

"Not everyone he belays gets dropped"
plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 50

I am a firm believer in always reading the fine print, but this bill appears to be good. If Trump signs it he deserves some of the credit. Maybe San Rafael Swell will become the next great sport climbing area.

Anyone know where we can find a map of the expansion in Joshua Tree National Park and other newly protected parts of the Mojave? That is great news if legit.

O · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 65
Sloppy Second wrote:

We should have the same standard for partners that we do for president.

"Not everyone he belays gets dropped"

I don’t like Trump, but there’s a slew of garbage every president has done. How many Anti Obama threads were there?

Instead of jumping on the thoughtless train of hating thing just because they were done by Trump, why not just call a good thing a good thing?
Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39

Let us not forget what we all learned in Tradiban's Masterclass:

The more controversial the Clickbait the more fish you'll catch.
Attentive Follower · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
PosiDave wrote:

I don’t like Trump, but there’s a slew of garbage every president has done. How many Anti Obama threads were there?
Instead of jumping on the thoughtless train of hating thing just because they were done by Trump, why not just call a good thing a good thing? 

Exactly, and that's why we should have no standards whatsoever, because they all suck.
Trump....Obama...whatabouism!

Where can I get some of that Kool Aid?
O · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 65
Sloppy Second wrote:

Exactly, and that's why we should have no standards whatsoever, because they all suck.

Trump....Obama...whatabouism!

Where can I get some of that Kool Aid?

Good Troll...

I would say our standards in politicians has been near the bottom of the barrel for the last 20-30 years easily (aside from a few).
I would say the kool aid drinkers are the ones that can’t look past their own close minded point of view and accept when the other side does good things. You can literally take the majority of Trumpers/Progressives and know they willHate everything the other side does simply for that reason. I hold no card in that deck and just think that solves nothing for the world as a whole. 
Attentive Follower · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
PosiDave wrote:

Good Troll...

I would say our standards in politicians has been near the bottom of the barrel for the last 20-30 years easily (aside from a few).
I would say the kool aid drinkers are the ones that can’t look past their own close minded point of view and accept when the other side does good things. You can literally take the majority of Trumpers/Progressives and know they willHate everything the other side does simply for that reason. I hold no card in that deck and just think that solves nothing for the world as a whole. 

Great, except that nobody actually is "hating" on this legislation in this thread. You are imposing your own narrative on something that isn't even the case here.

This particular legislation is a good thing. But it hardly redeems Trump and the Republican party's horribly short-sighted and scientifically-ignorant record on environmental issues.
Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 877
Sloppy Second wrote:

Great, except that nobody actually is "hating" on this legislation in this thread. You are imposing your own narrative on something that isn't even the case here.

This particular legislation is a good thing. But it hardly redeems Trump and the Republican party's horribly short-sighted and scientifically-ignorant record on environmental issues.

And what you are doing for the environment???  It really takes place at home.  Not in politics.  

Attentive Follower · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
Greg D wrote:

And what you are doing for the environment???  It really takes place at home.  Not in politics.  

Of course politics has nothing to do with it.

I grew up in coal mining country. We had a stream like this literally running through out backyard:



The EPA eventually made the mine clean it up, although the rocks are still orange, decades later.  (BTW, Trump has effectively dismantled the EPA)

But of course we could have fixed it at home by putting all of our cans in the recycle bin!

And if my folks back West Virginia would just ride their bikes instead of driving, they wouldn't have to put up with this:


Yeah sure, It really takes place at home.
O · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 65
Sloppy Second wrote:

Great, except that nobody actually is "hating" on this legislation in this thread. You are imposing your own narrative on something that isn't even the case here.

This particular legislation is a good thing. But it hardly redeems Trump and the Republican party's horribly short-sighted and scientifically-ignorant record on environmental issues.

The republicans could have shot down the legislation. But they didn’t...

You do know that companies who are currently in violations instead of being fined huge amounts will be worked with by the federalGovernment to get into Compliance as fines don’t actually help the environment. Alot of Oil and gas facilities have increased Inspection throughout the country most between 25-75% increase because now instead of fines, they will loseOn potentially new lease areas, pulling of
Current operation licenses.  A massive leak causes a shortage and in return falls on the consumer (not the company). The way the US government handled Deepwater Horizoon would have been completely different if the accident were to have been in Norway because how government in the US works. (Code/Enviromental standard Enforcement across multiple
Industries is my job). 
This is the same as the Supreme Court overturning for profit citations. Why help someone fix their mistake the first Time when you can grossly profit on a event, obviously the corporation will just make workers/consumers pay the price.
Edit: I don’t think defunding the EPA is the answer, But I think it should be handled differently  just like OSHA needs massive Overhaul since it isSeverely outdated and there are 1000000000 ways around the Regs.
O · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 65
Sloppy Second wrote:

Of course politics has nothing to do with it.

I grew up in coal mining country. We had a stream like this literally running through out backyard:



The EPA eventually made the mine clean it up, although the rocks are still orange, decades later.  (BTW, Trump has effectively dismantled the EPA)

But of course we could have fixed it at home by putting all of our cans in the recycle bin!

And if my folks back West Virginia would just ride their bikes instead of driving, they wouldn't have to put up with this:


Yeah sure, It really takes place at home.

In the 50-70’s most industries buried garbage, dumped sewage, emptied Contaminated water, etc, etc. 


Mind you in that time Blacks had separate fountains and ride the back of the bus. Sosociety as a whole wasn’t up to speed. 
Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39

Summing up the thread:

When bad things happen, it's Trumps fault. When good things happen, it's everyone's achievement, minus Trump. Okay, I think I got it.

But to be fair, this phenomena happens on both sides of the isle. Just remember not to complain when it's your side's turn to get the credit for all the bad and none of the good.

O · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 65
Nate Doyle wrote: Summing up the thread:

When bad things happen, it's Trumps fault. When good things happen, it's everyone's achievement, minus Trump. Okay, I think I got it.

But to be fair, this phenomena happens on both sides of the isle. Just remember not to complain when it's your side's turn to get the credit for all the bad and none of the good.

Basically modern views of most in a nutshell.

Matt Wetmore · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 46
PosiDave wrote:

In the 50-70’s most industries buried garbage, dumped sewage, emptied Contaminated water, etc, etc. 


Mind you in that time Blacks had separate fountains and ride the back of the bus. Sosociety as a whole wasn’t up to speed. 

If your point is that government intervention (EPA, Civil Rights Act) helped us reduce those problems you've made it well.

O · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 65
Matt Wetmore wrote:

If your point is that government intervention (EPA, Civil Rights Act) helped us reduce those problems you've made it well.

The EPA, OSHA, BSEE are prime examples of how the government sucks at their job. The list of examples I can use can’t fit into a MP post. They are outdated and full of people who are completely outdated or unknowledgeable of the regulations they are followings.

Civil rights and affirmative action by the government also are mediocre at best. I have literally been called to union jobs because they needed to Fill the minority quota on a weekend or else it violated their contracts. Never mind you my ancestors have little to do with how good/bad I am At a job.
Much like climbing ethics, when no one is watching racists will still find a way to bring down society and no legislation will Actually stop this. Personally I think education and voluntary service (military/peacecorp/Americorp/etc) for a yearOr two after HS would work wonders on showing the US population a better overall view. Not to
Mention that could be used fund College,Trade schools ,etc.
Tyler Johnson · · Santa Barbara · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 119

I'm incredibly grateful that the EPA exists. Could there be improvements? Sure. But the net good far outweighs the "evil government" spiel that people like to trot out.

Smog and acid rain, leaded gasoline, CFCs and ozone depletion, and rivers so polluted that they literally were catching on fire all used to be significant issues. The EPA and government regulation is the only reason any of those improved.

m Mobes · · MDI, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 905
Tyler Johnson wrote: I'm incredibly grateful that the EPA exists. Could there be improvements? Sure. But the net good far outweighs the "evil government" spiel that people like to trot out.

Smog and acid rain, leaded gasoline, CFCs and ozone depletion, and rivers so polluted that they literally were catching on fire all used to be significant issues. The EPA and government regulation is the only reason any of those improved.

Having a former coal lobbyist as head of the EPA does not make me feel good at all. We may be heading backwards.

Kevinmurray · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

We have been heading backwards since 1-20-17.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Community Forum
Post a Reply to "Trump is at it again!"

Log In to Reply