Mountain Project Logo

Search by FA

Original Post
TW J · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

I'd love a feature to search by first ascent. I got started on this subject when I thought it'd be really cool to go on a Fred Beckey tour and do as many Beckey routes as possible. Same for Kor. But this would also be really cool when it comes to local crags and see a breakdown of which routes--when and where--were put up by different locals.

Since there's a field for FA with data already entered on many of the pages it seems like a basic search function should be possible.

KyleSmith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 714

Already possible, if you type a name in the search box, routes with that person in the FA description will show up. This requires that information to actually be included in the route information, though.

Oh nice! Didn't realize that. 

KyleSmith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 714

In terms of sorting an area or crag by the FA information, I don't know that that is possible. And seems difficult to implement since many routes are listed without FA information. But at least you can use the search function!

It would be cool to sort an area by FA in the route finder

Todd Bruns · · Golden , Colorado · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

It would also be nice if your could search by the date the route was put up. 

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,698
Todd Bruns wrote: It would also be nice if your could search by the date the route was put up. 

That seems like it'd be tricky to implement. The "FA" field is a single field, and there isn't a set format. When adding a route, the user can type whatever they want into that field. So you could have multiple routes that were all put up by John Doe, and they could all read differently:

- John Doe (TR, March '89)
- Johnson, Doe, Butler 1986
- 1987 Doe, John
- ~1988 Doe & Butler
- John Doe 5/6/88
- Doe et. al. 7/1987
- John Doe (First Lead, 1986)
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Search by FA"