Mountain Project Logo

What is the proper way to bolt a bolt ladder?

Original Post
Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39

Title pretty much says it all. But specifically I'm curious about proper spacing and at what point does it become overdone?

Matt Thomsen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 147

What? Bolt it as far apart as you can. If you can drill it, I am sure some one else can come along and clip their way up it. Not sure there are a lot of ethics in drilling a bolt ladder...

Pjm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 20
Nate Doyle wrote: Title pretty much says it all. But specifically I'm curious about proper spacing and at what point does it become overdone?

Just like a ladder, one per foot! Seriously, it all depends on the climb and the holds that are available. If it's a blank, 5.impossible face, then you need to be able to reach each piece from the high point on your aiders at a minimum. If there are holds that you can use, then maybe more spacing is needed to keep as much free climbing as possible between bolts. It's a very touchy and variable subject. If you are not the FA, then you need to find out who is and ask them before you piss someone off and bolt a face that was designed to be free climbed. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "What is the proper way to bolt a bolt ladder?"