Mountain Project Logo

Seeking 2019 AT Gear Recommendations for General Mountain Travel

Original Post
thepirate1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Dear AT Skiers:  My GF and I want to be active and fit in the winter, and AT skis are a very elegant way to travel in the winter, walking up to a peak, and skiing down. There are choices of jillions of skis and all the other gear.  What do people recommend in the 2019 season? (We just don't have a community of friends to steer us, are unable to try different skis, looking for non-store advice.)

My GF is 5' and ~145 cm skis, advanced skier looking for (i) setup not too heavy, (ii)skis that work in the widest conditions of snow.
I'm 5'7", ~ 163 cm skis, pretty good skier looking for (i) setup not too heavy, (ii) skis that work in unpredictable snow we get out here in Tahoe.

We both have scarpa boots for tech bindings (mine are scarpa freedom SL, hers are similar).

* What skis, tech bindings, poles and shovels should we get?

All I know is (1) I've heard that BD and G3 and Dynafit skis are well-liked (not sure which ones; is the skin fixing notch in the dynafit ski tips a good idea?) .
(2) I've seen tech bindings with a stop to help you get into the toes.  Anyone recommend or not those types?

Thank you very much in advance for any "I love these" as well as "Don't get these - disappointed".  

Used gear solicitations are also welcome if skis are in very good shape.

-TPC  

jacob lyman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Dynafit Speed Turn link is a really simple, light, and reliable binding. Many folks will argue that a binding like the kingpin, atomic shift, or dynafit radical or rotation are a better binding due to their higher safety values, but that just depends on how hard you plan to ski and how far you plan to walk. If you want to ski mellow, conservative, and wisey, and are planning on walking or climbing a ton and value lightweight, the Speed Turn or a binding in the same class is what you need.

Skis are hard. Anything lightweight, 85-105 underfoot, and shaped how you like is probably ok.

Skins are easier, but still complex. Any BD, Coltex, or other mohair/nylon mix will work, but price/weight/glide/grip all factor in. Go to skimo.co and shop around, and email or call them with any questions. They really helped me out when I was making my first AT newnew purchase.

Towers in the toepiece to help get in are nice, but are really not necessary and you will figure out how to use them with or without the towers

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Seeking 2019 AT Gear Recommendations for Genera…"