Mountain Project Logo

Front Range Area Climber's Survey

Original Post
Katherine Kelly · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 25

If you live near, or climb, on the Front Range please take the survey below in support of the work of the Boulder Climbing Community. The Boulder Climbing Community supports trails, human waste mitigation, and rebolting efforts in Boulder and beyond. We do work wherever is needed, everywhere from the South Platte to Rocky Mountain National Park.

This survey will glean a ton of useful data for the BCC and others in the community: what stewardship work our members, and not yet members, value, what events they enjoy attending, and information about their personal climbing preferences. It will also give us a sense of the values and ethics within our community by asking questions about topics such as bolting practices, human waste disposal, and dogs at the crag. Finally, the survey will give an indication of where our community climbs both indoors and outside.

Please consider taking the survey we aim to get 1,000 people and the best data possible.

Survey

Thanks!

Eric Carlos · · depends · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 40

Done

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 255

Took the survey.  Hope it helps somewhat.  I know next to nothing about your organization, but the survey got me to at least check out your website.
I've got a quick question:  If/when bird closures are lifted before their typical end date, do you guys usually update your closure page?

Lane Mathis · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2017 · Points: 1

Yuhhh

Abandoned User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 6,830

Done. That was a really long survey. Wasn’t expecting all the questions about first ascents and ethics.  Interesting.....

Daniel Kay · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 5

Filled it out. Cheers!

Hope it yields some actionable data.

pfinnegan · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2004 · Points: 65

Done.  Nice survey interface.

Dara · · Peep's republic · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 20
Marc H wrote: Took the survey.  Hope it helps somewhat.  I know next to nothing about your organization, but the survey got me to at least check out your website.
I've got a quick question:  If/when bird closures are lifted before their typical end date, do you guys usually update your closure page?

Yes, we try to stay on top it!

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 170

Done

Joshua Greenburg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 77

Done

ABB · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 0
Marc H wrote: I know next to nothing about your organization...

That's one of the challenges local climbing orgs (LCOs) bump into regularly - connecting. Whether we're permanent locals or temp, we're wise for getting to know and supporting LCOs. They and volunteers/donors have done some outstanding work for decades, helping ensure our collective access and personal adventures. For those who've visited/live(d) in the greater Front Range, you've hiked their trailwork and perhaps new routes they've enabled, clipped their updated hardware (whew!), not seen trash on Flagstaff, etc. They cut a wide swath with our help.

Dakota from North Dakota · · Golden, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 1,152

Done. Bump 

plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 50

Interesting questions. Hope this helps.

James Schroeder · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,130

"Self-describe" options for gender and sexual orientation, but not political leanings?

Abandoned User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 6,830
James Schroeder wrote: "Self-describe" options for gender and sexual orientation, but not political leanings?

I was wondering about this.  How are you using this information Katherine, and how does it help.  What does a person's politics or gender or sexual orientation have to do with trail maintenance or ethical practices like LNT?
Shepido · · CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 50
CO Climber wrote:

I was wondering about this.  How are you using this information Katherine, and how does it help.  What does a person's politics or gender or sexual orientation have to do with trail maintenance or ethical practices like LNT?

Easy. Marketing - BCC has an audience they wish to reach and a target demographic, even if they are a non profit, just trying to rebolt routes and protect climbing access. They have finite resources and time to do so.  Why set up a booth at some event that is unlikely to reach your target demographic? 

Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 170

Done. Answering the ethics questions made me realize how context specific my values can be. I don’t think The Canal Zone is comparable to Metamorphasis. Yet, I’m not impervious to absolutist values (as in “don’t bolt protectable rock”). While the arguments we have here can be tedious and repetitive, I’m glad we keep having them. It’s good to challenge one’s beliefs. And it’s good we’re taking stewardship on as a community.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10
James Schroeder wrote: "Self-describe" options for gender and sexual orientation, but not political leanings?

I self identified as leaning toward absolute monarchy...when I am king, you will be first against the wall

Victor K wrote: Done. Answering the ethics questions made me realize how context specific my values can be. I don’t think The Canal Zone is comparable to Metamorphasis. Yet, I’m not impervious to absolutist values (as in “don’t bolt protectable rock”). While the arguments we have here can be tedious and repetitive, I’m glad we keep having them. It’s good to challenge one’s beliefs. And it’s good we’re taking stewardship on as a community.

Yes, I agree that some of the questions stir up inner turmoil with me too. But I do get pissed off when I am on a "sport" route and I find a huge run-out because there is a short crack that will take gear.....if its a sport route, you don't need gear; hence the name SPORT. Bolt the damn thing or don't, don't half ass it, especially if it is in a sport climbing area.

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 170
Shepido wrote:

Easy. Marketing - BCC has an audience they wish to reach and a target demographic, even if they are a non profit, just trying to rebolt routes and protect climbing access. They have finite resources and time to do so.  Why set up a booth at some event that is unlikely to reach your target demographic? 

The audience are climbers, isn’t it? What does it matter our sexual/political leanings, gender, income? We all have the same goal (at least the way I see it), so the last part of questionare was strange to me as well.

Fehim Hasecic wrote:

The audience are climbers, isn’t it? What does it matter our sexual/political leanings, gender, income? We all have the same goal (at least the way I see it), so the last part of questionare was strange to me as well.

...retro-bolting is favored by Latino gays between the ages of 25-46, but abhorred by black hetero's older than 65....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Front Range Area Climber's Survey"